St Christopher's shop

Lynne

Is it me (yes, I know this opening is asking for trouble) but have the prices rocketed in the larger St C's? Perhaps because I've just come back from a cheaper part of the country, but the prices did seem to be a bit much today. New management?

Haven't looked recently but my family have donated a few high-end pieces lately that we couldn't be bothered to eBay....

As a comparison the hospital bookshop at Frimley Park charges ?1 or ?1.50 for donated books depending on how thick the book is.

The other side of the coin, a lot of the customers of charity shops are either low paid or on benefits, and as such these establishments are a lifeline for those impoverished individuals, whilst I agree the charity is trying to raise money for their cause, I feel sorry for the people who have been priced out of even these traditionally cheap outlets.

Some customers donate bags full of stuff and when staff open the bags they find soiled and torn clothing, worn underwear, moth riddled clothing, etc so these are taken away by scrap dealers. Charity shops have paid managers although other 'assistants; are voluntary.

Lordship Lane is a prime area for rent increases borne out by the fact of changing businesses who have seen rent increases of ?20.000 per year.

I go regularly to a charity shop in Forest Hill, their goods are much cheaper than St. C's but not always of brilliant quality, Recently the books I used to purchase for under ?2 there are now costing ?3 plus.

My daughter who seems to clothe herself entirely from Charity Shops found Orpington prices far higher than those in Brighton. She got a Karen Millen dress for ?8 (checked it on line as nearly ?100 new) paid more for a pair of cheap new shoes.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's a fair point Inbound.

> I guess Peckham and Camberwell are pretty close

> though, also we still have the Mind shop up by

> Goose Green.

I've found the prices in the Mind shop quite high for a charity shop.

And sadly I've also noticed that prices seem to be going up in the larger hospice shop.

KidKruger Wrote:

> First time I've ever heard of a dog actually doing

> a dump in a premises - I thought staff giving that

> as a reason for not allowing dogs was a

> smokescreen for just not liking dogs.

Well I found an offending 'dump' in the changing room there once and had to ask a member of staff to clean it up. So either it was a dog or some poor customer was caught short.

KidKruger Wrote:

> First time I've ever heard of a dog actually doing

> a dump in a premises - I thought staff giving that

> as a reason for not allowing dogs was a

> smokescreen for just not liking dogs.

Nope. They are mostly all fond of dogs