Pret A Manger coming to East Dulwich! (Now open)

Prets is actually owned by MacDonalds Corporation isn?t it?

Hope they will offer Toilets, WIFI, USB phone/tablet Charging & Air Con!!!

We just have to accept soulless chain stores don?t we? Bulk centralised purchasing, massive mass marketing & huge financial power suffocating out all competition in every locality.

Welcome to Boris Britain.

Given that?s the case, suppose we have to be grateful hey?

Anyone remember La Scala caf? (closed 2 years ago)? Was the perfect independent coffee shop. Literally perfect? 😢

I?m a fan of Pret and looking forward to the local one opening. Whether one prefers Pret or an independent is a matter of personal preference and Pret opening widens the choice. I actually prefer the friendly indifference of most Pret staff and the more spacious premises than the often cramped and smaller independent spaces.

CPR Dave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You?re right Brideshead, Pret A Manger did not

> exist until Boris became PM. Same goes for every

> other business that isn?t a hair shirt shop owned

> by one family for the last five thousand years.

What ??

Pret a Manger is an international sandwich shop franchise chain based in the United Kingdom, popularly referred to as Pret.

Founded in 1983,

Premiership of Boris Johnson became P.M. on 24 July 2019

Foxy

I have to say I like Pret cos they are reliable. You get a decent 12oz cup and pastries that are cooked fresh daily.

I try and support independents but when they only have tiny cup sizes/portions at extortionate prices, steamed milk that?s sub par (often burnt and not creamy with micro foam) and sometimes stale pastries (that are a day or two old), it puts me off going.

Obviously this isn?t the case for all independents (I?d say Kanella and Bon are always consistently good) but from trying every coffee place in East Dulwich I?d say I experienced this in 50% of them.

Pret are not owned by McDonalds. For a short time, a couple of years back,McDonalds did have a small stake in the business, but withdrew and are no longer involved.

While they are undeniably corporate, they should be given some credit for running a very good charitable foundation - the Pret Foundation - which provides employment opportunities to homeless people in their restaurants and a range of support.

They publish their tax strategy and their annual accounts so maybe just have a look?

Brideshead Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> - Zak you don?t work in Pret PR dept?

> 😉😉😉

>

> Also before we stand outside our front doors to

> clap Pret a la NHS style? where are they paying

> tax?

>

> 🧐🧐🧐

-Bilksy

Get the point you are making, but if I might say, think your position is a bit na?ve. Unfortunately in ?capitalist-anything-goes Britain? companies have free reign - & often engage in - predatory practices. Which they are under the law perfectly entitled to do.

These include temporary undercutting / loss pricing to specifically close smaller independents without huge finance behind them or market capture that is opening a loss making branch to prevent competitors getting a foothold.

So what could happen is that ?more? for ED locals, in the long run, means ?less?.

Would be nice to think net result of new Prets would ?add to the flourishing eclectic range of shops, caf?s, pubs & restaurants? though? even if I am somewhat doubtful set against prior experience 🧐

Brideshead.....

No I don?t work in Pret?s PR department. I?ve simply followed their progress since they opened their first shop in Victoria in the 80s. And drunk quite a bit of their coffee.

However, I did run a homelessness charity and I?ve always been impressed by what their Foundation does, as a small charity, in providing employment and support to single homeless people.