Trains towards London Bridge not stopping at East Dulwich today!

PTAL - Schmeetal

When I moved here many years ago, I had already worked out that Brixton and Clapham are on the tube, but East Dulwich is not, Nor, like Clapham Junction or Peckham Rye to a lesser extent was it served by a National Rail interchange station.

And to a fairly significant extent, that was reflected in the price of property round here. So I moved here knowing what I was getting.

I live close to Goose Green and can't think of anywhere I need to go that I can't get to on public transport quite easily. True, when meeting friends in the West End, I'm slightly envious that those that live in areas served by the Northern and Victoria Lines will get home faster than me, but it's really not news. It's part of the make-up of the area.

The trains and buses we have are currently less frequent than pre-pandemic. But the fact that I might have to wait up to nine minutes for a certain bus service, rather than six really doesn't stop me using that mode of transport. I just need to wait a couple of minutes longer or plan slightly better.

In my case it is invariably waiting a couple of extra minutes...

Aah well as long as you're ok that's all that matters.

"The consequences of poor access to public transport, which due to its very nature impacts disproportionately on those with low incomes, the elderly and women, results in a lack of ability to access education, jobs, health facilities and hospitals. Level of access to public transport services is therefore a function of the degree to which social exclusion processes are experienced. PTALs as indicators are of particular importance in revealing the impact of network changes on travel patterns for those groups who rely on bus provision (Hine and Mitchell, 2001)

KidKruger wrote:

> Something must have changed to render platform

> 1 as unusable for 8-coach trains, because they?ve

> been running them for decades through ED stn.

When the train is longer than the available platform it uses Selective Door Operation (SDO: cf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_door_operation ) to keep some of the doors closed. My first hypothesis was that their system is of the type that gets the necessary information, about how long the platform is, from an electronic beacon sited at or on the approach to the platform, and that it was that data propagation bit that's been faulty.

In Usenet newsgroup uk.railway (also accessible via Google Groups) there's a simpler explanation offered: "AIUI the stop board was moved pending the withdrawal of class 455 stock at the end of the month meaning the trains (currently 8 car class 455) can no longer stop with all the doors on the platform." The stop board being the one saying where the head of a train of a given size should stop.

When the trains do reappear, are they different stock, and do they require SDO? Did the trains that were running last week require SDO? Has the 8 car stop board been moved.?

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When the trains do reappear, are they different

> stock, and do they require SDO? Did the trains

> that were running last week require SDO? Has the

> 8 car stop board been moved.?

After May 15th which is when the 455s are being replaced, they'll be using Class 377 trains which also have selective SDO. I think that line can only handle 8 coaches anyway, unlike the Forest Hill line which has had 10 coaches in the past on Southern trains.

The up train I saw there this morning was I think a Class 377, of the 4-car unit type. Not that I know much about these electrics. I'm still waiting for a sight of Channel Packet, the first of the Merchant Navy Class, steaming up the main line.