St. Francesca Cabrini primary school may close permanently

It was included in the Southwark internal audit of schools Apr-July 2021 that was the subject of this thread: https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2231610,page=1. The background information given for the school ran: Currently has a ?26,883 deficit which

was carried forward into the 2021-22

financial year.

 Due to limited finances the school does

not have a Business Manager. Budget

processes are overseen operationally by

the Clerk to the Governors, who is

supported by a Finance Assistant.

 Will officially become a one form school

in September 2021.

I?d like to see what James barber has to say on this matter, after all he was one of the persons involved in making Harris primary happen when it clearly wasn?t needed!

It?s unbelievable what councils like to waste money on!

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?d like to see what James barber has to say on

> this matter, after all he was one of the persons

> involved in making Harris primary happen when it

> clearly wasn?t needed!

>

> It?s unbelievable what councils like to waste

> money on!

I'm not sure how much input the council has over the Harris academy in Peckham. It describes itself as "an education charity run by teachers" and has 31 schools in London and Essex https://www.harrisfederation.org.uk/80/welcome-from-the-chief-executive

Exactly what I was thinking, as it will be prime land for redevelopment, but such a shame for the school to go but I appreciate it's nit viable financially to continue.

A further thought, what was on the land before the school?

Indeed, we were told it was vital there were more schools and much energy was put into getting a number built and opened and now we learn Southwark is looking at closing schools.

sweetgirl Wrote:

> I?d like to see what James barber has to say on

> this matter, after all he was one of the persons

> involved in making Harris primary happen when it

> clearly wasn?t needed!

>

> It?s unbelievable what councils like to waste

> money on!

James Barber was instrumental in helping Harris acquire two sites (Harris boys opposite the Peckham Rye and Harris primary on site of old police station, Lordship Lane) and getting Charter the lion's share of the hospital site.

Sally Eva Wrote:

> sweetgirl Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I?d like to see what James barber has to say on

> > this matter, after all he was one of the

> persons

> > involved in making Harris primary happen when

> it

> > clearly wasn?t needed!

> >

> > It?s unbelievable what councils like to waste

> > money on!

>

> I'm not sure how much input the council has over

> the Harris academy in Peckham. It describes itself

> as "an education charity run by teachers" and has

> 31 schools in London and Essex

> https://www.harrisfederation.org.uk/80/welcome-fro

> m-the-chief-executive

jazzer Wrote:

> Exactly what I was thinking, as it will be prime

> land for redevelopment, but such a shame for the

> school to go but I appreciate it's nit viable

> financially to continue.

>

> A further thought, what was on the land before the

> school?

A large private house, Woodville Hall, was on the site at the end of the 19th century. In 1902, St Francesca Cabrini founded a mission school in Brockley but was given notice to quit by the landlord in 1910. On behalf of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, an order she founded, she purchased Woodville Hall and a property in Honor Oak Road at a good price and moved the convent and school to these buildings. The school accepted only girls and was fee paying, attracting the daughters of wealthy Italians and Irish in London as well as pupils from overseas.

Woodville Hall was extended and other surroundings buildings purchased. However, the original Woodville Hall remains and is Grade II listed.

St Francesca Cabrini died in 1917 and was beatified in 1938. She is the patron saint of immigrants.

It is a non fee paying, voluntary aided school.

To my knowledge it was never the first choice of parents living in the immediate vicinity of the school unless they were Catholic. Its catchment area is therefore wide for people wanting a religion affiliated school.

There is an excellent non religious school within 100m which has a secular admissions policy based on siblings and home distance and so has a smaller catchment and is very popular with families in the catchment area.

The decline of Catholicism in general, preference of parents to have a good school near to home rather than a religion affiliated school for their children may be having an effect.

Just to correct the false statement which has been made, it is NOT Southwark who are proposing the closure of the school, but the school itself. an important difference. Southwark will have to deal with the resulting "fall out", i.e. help find school places.

first mate Wrote:

> Indeed, we were told it was vital there were more

> schools and much energy was put into getting a

> number built and opened and now we learn Southwark

> is looking at closing schools.

>

> sweetgirl Wrote:

> -----

> > I?d like to see what James barber has to say on

> > this matter, after all he was one of the

> persons

> > involved in making Harris primary happen when

> it

> > clearly wasn?t needed!

> >

> > It?s unbelievable what councils like to waste

> > money on!

And your point is?????????????????

If it's a dig at James, he's no longer a councillor, so a wasted dig.

first mate Wrote:

> James Barber was instrumental in helping Harris

> acquire two sites (Harris boys opposite the

> Peckham Rye and Harris primary on site of old

> police station, Lordship Lane) and getting Charter

> the lion's share of the hospital site.

> Sally Eva Wrote:

> -----

> > sweetgirl Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I?d like to see what James barber has to say

> on

> > > this matter, after all he was one of the

> > persons

> > > involved in making Harris primary happen when

> > it

> > > clearly wasn?t needed!

> > >

> > > It?s unbelievable what councils like to waste

> > > money on!

> >

> > I'm not sure how much input the council has

> over

> > the Harris academy in Peckham. It describes

> itself

> > as "an education charity run by teachers" and

> has

> > 31 schools in London and Essex

> >

> https://www.harrisfederation.org.uk/80/welcome-fro

>

> > m-the-chief-executive

Thanks, that's very insightful to learn about its past.

Whatever the outcome of the consultation and in case he school does close, it would be lovely to keep at least the frontage of the main building.

The site is huge, if closure is agreed it could easily be developed into multiple flats, more so with the land at the rear on Honor Oak Park.

Jenijenjen Wrote:

> jazzer Wrote:

> -----

> > Exactly what I was thinking, as it will be

> prime

> > land for redevelopment, but such a shame for

> the

> > school to go but I appreciate it's nit viable

> > financially to continue.

> >

> > A further thought, what was on the land before

> the

> > school?

>

> A large private house, Woodville Hall, was on the

> site at the end of the 19th century. In 1902, St

> Francesca Cabrini founded a mission school in

> Brockley but was given notice to quit by the

> landlord in 1910. On behalf of the Missionary

> Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, an order she

> founded, she purchased Woodville Hall and a

> property in Honor Oak Road at a good price and

> moved the convent and school to these buildings.

> The school accepted only girls and was fee paying,

> attracting the daughters of wealthy Italians and

> Irish in London as well as pupils from overseas.

>

> Woodville Hall was extended and other surroundings

> buildings purchased. However, the original

> Woodville Hall remains and is Grade II listed.

>

> St Francesca Cabrini died in 1917 and was

> beatified in 1938. She is the patron saint of

> immigrants.

You may yourself be against religious schools, but they allow parents to have their children brought up and taught with faith, nothing wrong with that and it instils value's and morals which are sadly lacking from today's society. It may not be everyone's choice, but choice there is and it does no harm whatever your believe is or is not.

Nigello Wrote:

> I am against religious schools though it?s never

> good when an established school has to go.

THE IDEAL CONVENT SCHOOL, Woodville, OAKLANDS, WOODVILLE MALL, HONOR OAK, LONDON, S.E.23.

----

CONDUCTED BY THE MISSIONARY SISTERS OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS.

----

The site of the SACRED HEART SCHOOL is in one of the healthiest suburbs of London. Elevated position. 300ft. above sea level. Extensive grounds. Situation unsurpassed for beauty of rural environment and health advantages.

Hockey, net ball, cricket, tennis according to season, The Nuns aim at giving best possible moral, mental and physical training to their pupils. Pupils prepared for the University Locals, London Matriculation and Musics R.A.M. and L.C.M., and drawing public examinations at the R.D.S.

Applications to the Rev. Mother Superior will receive immediate attention.

--- Nottingham and Midland Catholic News - Saturday 11 October 1924, p.9

MISSIONARY NUN VISITS LONDON.

----

Reception At Convent.

----

PROPOSED SCHOOL FOR HONOR PARK.

----

To celebrate the arrival in London of the Very Rev. Mother General of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a concert was given in her honour by the pupils of the Sacred Heart Convent, Honor Oak, on Saturday. It was stated that the intention of the Rev. Mother General is to build a school in Honor Oak which will be second to none in the South of England......

--- Nottingham and Midland Catholic News - Saturday 25 June 1932, p.1

(Both, courtesy of https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk )