Where to donate books & comics?

I'm clearing out my bookshelves ahead of a downsize. There are probably 3-400 books and a couple of hundred Superman comics that need to go.

The books are a mixture of novels (from historical to contemporary to chick lit), experience books (tales of comedic endeavours or travels), fantasy (Anne McCaffrey, Robin Hobb, George R Martin) with a smattering of novelty titles and non-fiction. They're mostly in 'as new' condition aside from the oldest which are more thumbed.

I've checked at my two nearest charity shops but they aren't taking books at the moment. It feels entirely wrong to just put them into the recycling bin (tho I know books are pulped all the time). Any thoughts of groups that might be able to use them?

Had near 500 linear feet of books when we downsized. We hardly ever left the house without a bag or 2 of books so if passed a charity shop, community book case we cd leavesome even if I had a hosp appt cd leave some at Friends of Kings Book shop. A lot got collected by the British Heart Foundation along with clothes and furniture.

You cd keep a load in the car and try charity shops further afield that you pass.

Peepscollect comics and there are shops that sell which I wd have thought buy in bulk - google....only one can find=https://www.webuyanycomic.co.uk/sell-your-comics.... maybe ebay

https://books2africa.org/donatebooks - they collect

https://www.ziffit.com/en-gb/sell-my-books?msclkid=d3a95693c1d5125c579834054a76ed1f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=S%20-%20Search%20-%20Books%20-%20UK%20-%20Bing&utm_term=Buy%20Books&utm_content=Buy%20Books . worth looking at.

Maybe local secondary schools.

Before we moved and since I put books in front of house- if your street has heavy footprint you cd be surpried at how quickly they go. Put the !st under plastic sheeting or in waterproof bags if the weather is inclement. I can't collect but wd be happy to take a couple of bags of fiction if you ever go down Bellenden Rd and could drop them off:-)

Good luck

The Ivy House in Nunhead takes books for their community library, but I doubt they would want that many!

I would have thought the Oxfam bookshop in Herne Hill was your best bet. I've taken trolley loads there.

But I get loads of books second hand from various online places, if there are specific books I'm after. Don't know where they get their books from but you could investigate?

There are companies like Ziffit who buy second hand books if you draw a blank with donating. It's a painless procedure - you scan the books which will tell you how much they'll pay, pack the books securely, Ziffit will arrange for free collection and, once they've received your books and checked them, they deposit the money into your PayPal account. Of course, they dont pay a lot and there are some they won't take but it's still worth doing.