Welcome, Guest!

The East Dulwich Forum is an online community to discuss anything and everything about SE22. We were established all the way back in 2006! You can find more information about us here.

It looks like you're not registered. If you want to sign up, please click this link.

Computer Locked !!!

Discuss life in London's East Dulwich. Talk about local restaurants, pubs, shops, services, transport, planning, it's up to you
Drxyster

My wife's computer has been locked by a virus or programme. Word and voice message tells me to call Microsoft support 0203 772 3313. Is this legitimate or a scam in progress, any advice or suggestions most gratefully received.
I have run Norton Powe Erazer and Talk Talk F Secure, both said no threats found.
EDguy89

Probably a scam.

If there's genuinely an issue you should search for the # independently of the one provided.
yourmomma

100% a scam. Your best bet is likley to boot the PC into recovery mode and then use system restore to restore back to a known working backup.
Drxyster

Thanks for advice, managed to switch off and re-start, now seems OK. Have not run System restore as yet, but will do if problem arises again.
ianr

Although Word may have been open at the time, I think it's likely that the message arrived as a browser popup triggered by going to a hacked web page, as mentioned in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... dd49eb1e15, which also advises on using Task Manager to close down the browser. Searching on Microsoft support 0203 shows a variety of such numbers being used. The one you quote is already unobtainable.