Return to big government (parking fines and other issues)

malumbu

Whilst not a fan of Dave and Nick, I am of the localism agenda.

The Big Soceiety was already there, but the assumption that volunteers could take over services was flawed. I volunteer so have some appreciation.

What does pee me off is after all the right noises, government then has to interfere/intervene. Local refuse collection - leave that to the local authority. People whinge about two weekly bin collections? Tough, moan to your councillor.

Now we are getting more vote winning Daily Mail nonsense with government deciding that no enforcement can be taken for ten minutes after the parking meter has run out. This may be sensible, proportionate and pragmatic, but let the local authority decide. Pah! By all means issue best practice, work with the Local Government Association but please stop this popularist nonsense.

And no more mobile cameras? The one was by the junction between the Rye and East Dulwich Road because so many people ran the red light.

On the contary feel that the cops should do more to enforce road traffic and vehicle violations (and never thought I'd say this bikes without lights) rather than a total abication of responsibility.

The ten minutes free parking of course does not apply to Rye Lane, where I've never seen any enforcement.

Rather than whinge about this I am now going green ink instead and send some FOI requests to Southwark.

The mobile cameras are not being banned though, but their use restricted to things like bus lanes.

Totally agree though regarding pre-election populism. We can only expect more of that. But having said that, I now know whom I'm voting for because of it. Things like mobile cameras don't get my vote. Policy on min wage and tackling our low paid economy do. It's all very well having 1.8 million new jobs, as Cameron likes to boast. What he forgets to say though is that in spite of that, tax receipts are still dropping. The reality is that those jobs are mostly low paid, part-time, zero hours even. There has been no replacement for decently paid full time jobs. But those at the top are funnily enough doing better than ever.

Still at least if I park in a bay, instead of paying for an hour when I'll only probably use 40mins, I can now at least pay for the time I'm likely to be parked. That has always been my gripe with parking bays, the 'not transferable' command at the bottom of the ticket. The fear of a parking ticket being issued for 1 second past has meant that in reality LAs get more than the real cost of parking. Now they can't screw us over quite as easily.

Good post. I've scanned through the recent threads and found ones with interesting titles yet sweet FA of content. Quality not quantity on this one.

Big issues are clearly more important so even more of a case of why Dave messes with stuff that is a local matter.

He and perhaps the last lot don't want a war on motorist which gives many of you out there a carte blanche to do what you like. If you are running a red light, parking on doubles or whatever more fool you and you deserve what you get. Sadly it is easier to target other misdemeanours and the one that has amused me is potential fines for leaving your bin on the pavement.

Back to my green inking habit, Dave's anoucement at least got me to put pen to paper and FOI Southwark about parking enforcement and my other sad obsession, buses damaging the pavement on Rye Lane.

Oh and cars with bull bars but that is for another day and a policing issue not Southwark. Now if Dave had zero tolerance on cars with bull bars, and those drivers using mobiles, and they were all crunched (cars not the drivers) he would get my vote. Let's see what Ed has to say. My other one would be all people smoking on cross channel ferries get thrown into the sea. Nigel.

They mount the bike lane causing damage to the curb and surface. Southwark lob some tarmac in. A week later this has been flattened. A shame after all the work done on the pedestrianised area.

Not sure if they do this because (a) their lane is too narrow

(b) giving space to vehicles parked I think illegally on the opposite pavement

© Poor driving.

Probably all three.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks ,though I'm still trying to picture this

> .Do you mean the bit that runs past Boots ? Where

> the "shared" bike lane is ? Though the bike lane

> is flush with the road so no curb to mount .

> Where are there cars parked on the pavement in Rye

> Lane ?

Cars no - huge car sized pallets for the shops - yes

Pedestrians then move into the road.

Although sometimes cars stop in the middle of Rye lane

for a chat with a friend oblivious to the ensuing chaos.

That whole strip is problematic. Hard to share a space when some cyclists think they have right of way over pedestrians. I have seen some shocking behaviour by cyclists on that shared pavement, and I say that as someone who uses it as a cyclist. Total idiocy too to leave no overtaking room on the tarmac. I know why they did it, because of cyclists contraflowing a one way stretch, but not sure the solution has made things better at all.

This is what I most dislike about this forum, start a serious conversation about a subject and it gets hijacked. Worse still giving some opportunity for someone to express vitriol about cyclists (yawn).

I'll start a thread on Rye Lane should I get anything interesting back from Southwark.

And just where has anyone expressed vitriol about cyclists? Discussing a cycle lane inevitably means talking about the behaviour of some cyclists, which IS aggressive and self righteous, just like some drivers behave that way too. I'm fed up of the same vitriol from the cycling militia (yawn) but would never deny their right to both have a view and express it in a public forum.