Decent veggie convenience food

malumbu

Been a veggie for a long long time. Occasionally you want to get something out of the freezer or fridge and simply put it under the grill/in the oven.

It seems like all the main supermarkets have colluded to sell stuff that is either bland, totally over flavoured, or in one case just bizarre. Sure that there used to be some stuff that was half reasonable.

I used to buy some Quorn products, not because I wanted a meat substitute, but it had a bit of texture. They seeemed to have reformulated it a couple of years ago into some slime (yes I know it is a distant relative of athletes foot). The Linda McCartney stuff was always horrid.

I've just chucked some pretty tasteless stuff away.

Without telling me how to cook(because I can) any suggestions out there?

Pies from Beamish and McGue on Lancaster Avenue (spinach and mushroom is amazing) or get a daal from any curry house and eat it with a heated frozen paratha (you can get frozen ones in DKH Sainsburys and they are AMAZING). If I'm really being lazy I'm a massive fan of frozen fresh pasta (which takes 3 mins in boiling water to cook through) with pesto and veg. Good luck. Is a right pain having to cook when you just want to kick your heels up and relax.

The frozen soy balls from Sainsbury's are quite tasty if you stick them in the oven so they're crispy on the outside.

They also do soy mince and burgers in the same range, but I don't like them so much.

Also, if you eat eggs, an omelette is quite quick?

Or find a few recipes you like that freeze well, make a load of them and freeze your ready meals yourself for future use? bit of a faff at the time but worth it when you come home tired and just have to stick them in the oven ....... or saucepan in the case of soup .....

We do a weekly bake day and make our own veggie ready meals to go in the freezer. Even something liked mashed potato freezes really well. No need to spend huge amounts on stuff that isn't as good as home made.

Will check those soy balls out Sue. Might work well with a sweet chilli sauce and sounds like something my kids might like.

I met a guy today who was a strident 20 yr served veggie

But after a trip away to California, gave up his veggie badge

"how was it" I asked

"WTF have I been doing that for for 20 years"

"Really?"

"Yeah i'm loving it"

I imagine M you're a veggie for attention seeking reasons

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Will check those soy balls out Sue. Might work

> well with a sweet chilli sauce and sounds like

> something my kids might like.

Yes, my granddaughters (6 and 8) like them, and they're VERY picky - they aren't vegetarian but mostly eat veggie food at home.

The recipe has recently been changed - I think for the better, but I've only tried the new version once.

They're also good with a tomato sauce as a sort of stew, or with pasta. Very useful as you can just take out however many you want and put the rest back.

I haven't been to Sainsbury's lately, but in the past they have been in the veggie section of the frozen food, and quite often on offer which makes them very reasonable in price.

The Cheese Block (lordship L) does exegetical (and exelent) chickpea potatoes and herb samosas which I believe are home made on a daily basis and sold out before two pm...I'm a fan and not the only one.

Also if you like aubergines and eat eggs there's an iranian recipe called Mirza Ghazemi which I enjoy it is filling easy to make and rather morish with toasted pitta or some such (You tube).....otherwise ratatouille is obviouslying fantastic and every engredient can be purchased from one market stall in Peckham (plus thyme)....One big pot of loveliness to eat with boiled basmati....magic.