New scam?

Lynne

Just had a call claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service, asking if I was still getting nuisance calls. I was tempted to say yes, just listening to one, but went along with the call until she started talking about my card details. Hung up at this point. When I tried to call the number she'd used, the voice said Number not recognised. Odd for the Telephone Preference Service, I thought.

With the risk of souding a little bigoted, where the caller sounds educated I say this, and advise them to get a job working for society rather than against it. Oddly the phone has usually gone down before the sentence if finished. More recent scam calls have been very friendly, calling me by my first name so that I assume I instigated the business. Clearly none of ths applies to Specsavers in Peckham who seemed to have no telephone maners at all.

Not sure if I have managed to turn anyones's life around but there seems to be no shortage of people in the UK to make the calls. I'm not going to digress about foreign call centres.

There was an article in the paper a few months ago where the woman who'd been called started to talk to her caller, and ask him why he was doing this job. Couldn't he spend his time doing something better etc. A few weeks later he called her back and said she'd made him think and he's given up cold calling and got a "real" job.

An inspiring story, but I must admit I can't be bothered.

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There was an article in the paper a few months ago

> where the woman who'd been called started to talk

> to her caller, and ask him why he was doing this

> job. Couldn't he spend his time doing something

> better etc. A few weeks later he called her back

> and said she'd made him think and he's given up

> cold calling and got a "real" job.

> An inspiring story, but I must admit I can't be

> bothered.

If true.. it's worrying he kept her number..

DulwichFox