problems with norton anti virus

Mrs Y

I don't think any programme shouldnt let you uninstall it.

Look in your system tray by the clock in the bottom right hand corner, find the norton symbol (you may have to press the littel left arrow to expand it in order to find it.

Right click on it then click Exit or Close. Say yes to all the 'are you sure?'s

Then go to control panel and either 'Add/Remove Programs' on XP and priors or 'Programmes and Features' on vista; find norton on their, click on it and in the former OS click the uninstall button, in vista right click then click uninstall/repair, and keep selecting the uninstall options. It should eventually go.

If it's being really stubborn got to task manager and kill it off from there.

Feel free to get more clarifications as that may have been a bit whirlwind as instructions go.

And if the removal tool isn't wholly successful, it's a fairly common problem, and there's a corresponding amount of advice floating around on the web, including more hands-on stratagems that are claimed to help.

You don't say what exactly is happening when you try shutting Norton down and running the uninstall.

Have you definitely, as Mockney advised, closed down the program before trying the uninstall?

I would in any case definitely double check, using the Task Manager or similar, that all Norton processes have beeen shut down. So check not only its Programs page, but also the Processes one. I don't know the Norton file names, but you may find them in the Norton Program Files folder.

"So check not only its Programs page, but also the Processes one."

Very good point Ianr, I should have been clearer on that. Much of norton is background processes so you need to go to that tab and find the norton processes (if in doubt google the process name and you should find out what it is and if it's safe to kill it).

Also kill it by right clicking on the process and clicking 'kill process tree' on the context menu.

I'd be very careful before downloading an 'uninstall tool' type thing. Google forums etc to be absolutely sure you're not going to make things worse by downloading some sort of malware. In fact part of me is wondering if part of the problem is that you have some malware that is running a DNS blocker (blocks your access to certain, usually anti virus/spyware/malware, sites) making it look like norton is blocking access to the internet.

My wife had one of those. it was called weejimmy.exe or something in the processes, she got it by trusting some content sent to her from a friend in facebook (actually it was utilising facebook to spread itself). Killing the process allowed me to download AVG which happily did the rest. Very impressive for a free product I must say.