Anyone seen any tourists in Peckham lately?

Saila

How funny!

My mates who live outside London assume it's either all like OF&Horses (and this area is not a cockney area) or all full of gangsters and frightened unhappy black kids as was made out when Damilola Taylor died.

When they come to stay with me and see how beautiful some of it is and with fabulous architecture, and gems like Choumert Square etc, as well as how friendly people are when you break the ice and talk with them, they end up being quite envious I live in such a great area of London!

Incidentally, in Rye Lane two days ago I was walking along and my right foot collapsed to the right either by going on an uneven paving stone or something else. Two elderly black ladies immediately caught me preventing me from falling over and were SOOOOOO lovely and caring. I nearly passed out with the pain and they stayed with me and helped me into Iceland where the manager got me, guess what, a bag of Iceland Ice. Thank you again to these lovely and VERY quick acting ladies. I sat for about half an hour then got a bus home. My right ankle is now black and blue and twice its size.

Back to topic. NEVER seen anyone saying they were on a tourist trip of Peckham, but on Peckham Society walks there are sometimes people who are members but don't live here anymore, who come in just to go on the walk. And they are great walks often led by Peter Frost or one of the architect-members.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Please understand that I am not doubting the word of anyone who has posted here with problems with bought-in prepared meat, but (I am old) uncooked meat (perfectly 'good' meat) does smell often, we are too used to shrink wrapped and chilled supermarket meat which can be almost scent free - so we are surprised when 'butcher's' meat does smell (and often, if it is uncooked, quite strongly). Indeed game which is high can smell quite strongly, and not in a good way to our 21st C sensibilities, without being off - as in food poisoning off. Certainly prepared meat, when cooked, should smell enticing, and not at all bad - so the experiences quoted above are certainly very worrying - but younger people reading this should not be concerned, particularly, if fresh (raw) meat they have bought from e.g. a proper butchers has a smell to it. Which is not to say that something which smells rank shouldn't be a point of complaint. Even the smell of high-ish game, if left unwrapped, should dissipate once unwrapped. If it increases however it may be  cause for concern. But raw beef or lamb in the joint can often smell of something which isn't necessarily particularly nice, without it being worrying. It will tend to cook with more flavour.
    • Thanks tedfudge, great news, well done!!! 🦆😊
    • Just an update  The ducklings were picked up by a lady from an animal sanctuary Sussex,  hopefully they have a good life ahead of them
    • We had one that projected stars and played lullabies. It was a soft toy bee with a hard plastic back. I know we used it but can’t recall how effective it was.  What was brilliant was the Lulla sleep doll which has a heart beat sound. That was a critical sleep aid for the first couple of years. 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In