Ecomodo - anyone tried it?

katanita

I saw a mention of Ecomodo (http://ecomodo.com/) in today's Observer (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/22/how-to-find-clean-air, scroll down), and really like the idea - a site that enables you to hire out your own equipment on short terms loans/hire other people's stuff. In general there are some very random items offered on there at the moment, but also some useful bits and bobs.

I went on it in the hope of finding a local with an electric sander I could borrow (so by the way, has anyone got a smallish sander I can borrow for a bit?), but not many of us in the area are on it and no-one with what I needed, unfortunately. So is anyone using this site? Any good? Been having a bit of a chat with them on twitter today and they seem very nice, I suggested they try posting on places like this but I'm impatient so thought I'd get the conversation started, plus I think it has the potential to be a Good Thing if enough local people are on it.

I like the idea of Streetbank since it is potentially more local. However, its seems to me, online communities work partly due to a critical mass of members and Streetbank hasn't achieved that, yet. So, you should join up and help make it work for you and the community. I've posted a few things on Streetbank but I hedge my bets and post the same thing on EDF and Freecycle as well if appropriate.

I have a sander you could borrow but i won't charge you for its use. If you want to barter some produce from your garden/a bottle of wine a skill you could donate, Alec