Questionnaire about police issues

PeckhamRose

Administrator Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately telling us to "don't put it in the

> lounge please" will not keep it out the Lounge.

> Without reading the questionnaire we have no idea

> if it is relevant, perhaps you could expands so we

> know why?

I've had a look and a play, and I think admin's made the right call. It belongs in the Lounge, at best.

In brief, it's a badly-designed, spavined mess of a box-ticking exercise that doesn't work, from the unlabelled columns on the first screen to the broken form on the thirteenth. It's very nearly a metaphor.

I'm not blaming PeckhamRose for not checking the survey before posting it, but whoever released it should have made at least an attempt to see if it worked. The only good thing you can say about it is that standards don't seem to have slipped.

Unfortunately, it's junk like this that has earned Plod the better half of its reputation. It not useful, it's not intelligible, and it's not even a amusing waste of time and money. It's incompetent and slovenly. And, as you'd expect, there's not even a link to report problems through - and this a survey about communication.

Quite possibly, somewhere, at sometime, someone is going to stand in front of a bunch of people and present the results of this survey and those people are going to decide where they spend money and where they cut back based on those results.

As a research exercise it's poorly designed, but it's easy to see how the results could steer funding decisions. In any event, it's what they're doing. Probably because someone - who's well aware that the effort is less than ideal - is doing the best they can, with the time, skills and budget that's at their disposal.

I've filled it in, and would encourage you to so so too.

I wrote to Admin via PM to ask for this to be moved back to the main section.

Yes, it's badly designed - very badly in fact - but it may very well be used to inform budget allocation and the questions aimed at counter services may have a direct impact on the provision in East Dulwich. It looks like the type of survey that proves awfully useful later to justify decisions, and any lack of response will be taken to mean that we are all perfectly happy with someone else making the decisions for us.

I've filled it in and would encourage everyone to do so. If it really does annoy you so much that you can't bring yourself to do so, then why not make a complaint about it; there are links on the Met website (where this survey is) to complaint and contact forms.

It's a pretty tenuous case for an 'ED Issues' thread. It's a generic police questionnaire.

On the same basis you could include 'climate change' in ED Issues because we get weather in ED too...

I do wish people would stop referring to it as the 'main section'. It's not. It's an ED Issues section, and the rules are completely explicit.

Everyone seems to think their thread is a special case.

If you start depositing any old stuff into it then the users will find it unsatisfying. You won't get more people looking at your thread, you'll just have two messy lounges, and half the users will leave.

The reason I consider this to be an ED issue is that there has been a regularly demonstrated concern about access to police services by contributors to the 'main' section and so it should be of interest to anyone who might wish to influence the availability of police services in this area. I know that the only localisation is by borough but it does mean that the survey is considerably less global than, say, climate change.

I refer to the 'main' section as such as this forum is called Eastdulwichforum and so I expect the focus to be on subjects of interest to East Dulwich residents in particular. The list of suitable subjects mentioned includes transport and planning; I would expect policing to fall into a similar category.

Whilst I do scan the titles of threads in the lounge, I have found that only a very small percentage of threads hold any interest to me so I don't open up every one. Consequently, many subjects will pass me by unnoticed. I imagine I am not the only one.

However, I recognise that I am not as educated in the use of the English language as other users on this forum so I apologise if my use of the word 'main' antagonises. Perhaps 'primary' would be preferable.

Main, primary, whatever - they're still all incorrect.

That section is entitled 'ED Issues' not 'London Issues That Might Also Be Interesting To poeple Living in ED'

The whole forum is 'Issues That Might Be Interesting To poeple Living in ED', and it's subdivided into sections for ease of use and to ensure that user expectations are met.

The survey isn't an ED survey, it's about policing across the capital. That goes in the Lounge.

If it was a survey specifically about the provision of policing services in ED it would be in the ED Issues section, along with the SNT.

I sympathise - you're not the only one who want to change the rules to reflect their own interests. For you it's policing, for others it education policy, for others it's No Frills airlines.

It's not possible to compromise for one person without compromising for everyone. Then the forum's broken.

Either way, it's not my choice. That'll be Admin.