Can you help an MSc student with research on health behaviour?

ajsevern

Hello all,

I am posting a new thread because I mentioned in my previous post that I'd let you know the general outcomes of the study.

I am still recruiting participants so if you have not seen this survey before, I would love to know your thoughts on your own health behaviours. Please follow this link to complete the survey:

I am especially in need of people who would like to share their thoughts on why they don't want to exercise to recommended levels, and on why they don't want to change their drinking habits. If you are generally healthy, the survey will take 2 minutes. If you are presented with an open-ended question, it is important to include a short explanation.

Summary of research:

* I have included the current measure as a pic. This measure aims to pinpoint the main reasons why a person won't engage in health-protective actions such as stopping smoking, losing weight, etc. But there is a problem: 30% of people who took this measure were not able to pick a reason - they had their own. Could you pick just one?

* The researchers were able to provide targeted interventions for those who could pick their main reason for not taking protective action. A randomised controlled trial (RCT) was conducted to see if these targeted interventions based on the RAL were more successful in getting people to change their behaviour than un-personalised/irrelevant interventions.

* They found that people who were given targeted intervention using the RAL were more likely to go on to seek behaviour change than those who were given un-personalised inventions.

Considering the powerful impact that personalising interventions have on behaviour change, the RAL could be improved in its efficiency to 'catch' reasons for not engaging in protective health behaviours. This is the aim of the current study. I am asking you to think about your risky behaviours (smoking, drinking, diet and exercise), and why you do not want to change them.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments

Archived