Facial or treatment recommendations

I find myself at 40 having spotty skin (occasionally) and certainly congested pores and blackheads. I must admit I dont moisture religiously but I do scrub/clean my face. It seems to make no difference. I need some sort of cleansing system at home and a good facial (possibly extraction? Nothing gentle and relaxing anyway). I am clueless as to what to have and where.

I would really appreciate any recommendations. Hopefully not something hugely expensive...

IPL treatment, or if you can afford it, Pixel laser. I've been here: http://www.theprivateclinic.co.uk/ .

Ok the treatments are not cheap, but when I looked at what I was spending every month on skin products, I had to consider this as an investment. I had IPL for acne about 10 yrs ago, and Pixel laser treatment about 4.5 yrs ago for resurfacing.

I spent many of my early years living at a low latitude, and my very fair skin was starting show the damage. Pixel can reach deeply enough into the skin to correct this at a cellular level, not just cosmetic. However, Pixel is very expensive. IPL is cheaper, and I thought it was more effective at correcting acne. If your problem is large pores (which is not really acne), then Pixel might be better.

More recently, I've had glycolic facials. Lots of places offer these locally. My friend does them for us at cost when we have a girls night at mine. The effect is nice but doesn't reach so deep into the skin. Although the cost is certainly much less than IPL or laser treatment.

I've tried many things but finally found Arbonne products are excellent & have made a viable difference to such conditions. It's Swiss and the products are botanically based (which sounds like blurb but my friend who sells this stuff is a qualified nutritionist & absolutely thoroughly meticulous about proper health & well being products)

I really have noticed a marked difference in my skin since using their range a couple of months ago & would def recommend.

I found dr hauschka cleanser to be the trick for my skin. I use oil of olay moisturiser.

Sounds to me like you need a facial and some advice from a beauty therapist...

Also, if you take the tube daily... It's weird but when I don't wear makeup my skin is much greasier, when I wear makeup it seems to act as a barrier to all that grime!

yes I do need some advise from a beauty therapist - problem is the usually try to sell you on whatever it is they are using or selling

on a side note has anyone ever used Groupon (and the like) for anything? I keep seeing beauty deals on there but have never tried buying anything through them

• 4 months later...
If you are just a bit spotty and it is not acne then a lot of this sounds very harsh and heavy duty. When you say scrub, do you mean a thorough wash or a cream with bits in that exfoliates? Generally those with bits in are abrasive and can irritate the skin more. I'd suggest a general purpose facial, and tell the person when you book that you have congested skin and may need extraction. The therapist will be able to advise on your skin type, and in many places will give you samples of products to try at home. Often the years go by and you are still using the same products that suited when much younger. Trying different things that suit you now can be a revalation. Of course the staff want you to buy the full sizes, but you may as well get their expertise and advice and a trial size!! I have had good facials at Lesley leale green (think that is name) in Dulwich village, also therapy on Melbourne grove and neroli in honor oak.

Did you find anywhere?

I would recommend Relax in covent garden. I didn't think of it at the time but they are lovely and have never tried to up sell me with products (though have only done nails and waxing there)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am a Beauty therapist of 9 years I have a small mobile therapy business called Aloe Beautiful, I offer a Aloe Vera facial which includes exfoliation and hot towels which will clear the skin I also sell the products I use which are natural so you can keep up the cleansing regime.

If you would like more info message me

Kayleigh (aloe beautiful)

I might also add I would never force you to buy anything I am not a pushy seller, I just let you know what is available as I do not like when people push products on myself.

It sounds to me that you have oily skin and I would not use scrub on your skin everyday once or twice a week along with a cleansing regime and a monthly facial I hope this helps....

Kayleigh (aloe beautiful)