Flu jab for children

ellenb

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the flu jab for children. My children (7 snd 9) are in good health and are travelling to the USA next month. Their American grandfather says the jab is a must in the USA and he is insisting. One of my kids already had flu (2.5 weeks of being ill) this month. Where would I get jabs for them? I hear GPs are only giving it to the vulnerable and Boots wont give to children. Is the flu vaccine in the UK the same as in the USA? Many thanks.

I think you should talk to your GP about this issue. I think you have a case for requesting that the NHS administer these immunisations, as they are essential for travel.

Several years ago, I travelled to the States during flu season to see my godfather who had cancer. His doctor had instructed that anyone who visited him in the hospital must have received a flu jab. I relayed this information to my NHS GP, who gave me a flu jab (even though I wasn't considered high risk as the time). So there are some instances where NHS GPs can use their discretion.

In any event, I think you can order the jab itself through your GP's surgery (you pay for the jab), and then book an appointment to have a nurse administer it to your child? Check with your GP/reception staff for more info, as different surgeries may have slightly different procedures.

If this is not possible, then the MediCentre administers children's immunisations privately. Check their website, as they only do children's imms at certain locations, and appointments are generally recommended. http://www.medicentre.co.uk/

Your children's grandfather should be able to tell you what flu vaccine is being offered in his area. If you want to cross-check information about flu vaccine formulations, go directly to the websites of the vaccine providers. If you're paying privately for the vaccine, you may be able to request a different brand. You could also have your children vaccinated when you arrive in the States. (Maybe ask their grandfather to pay for it? Cheeky??)