Cleaning agency - London Living Wage?

Google has failed me and I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to help.

I think we need some help with the cleaning in our house! Does anyone know of a cleaning firm that pays its staff the London Living Wage? I can only find a commercial cleaners that advertise this!

Agree with Bellenden Belle. When I first hired a cleaner 8 years ago we went through an agency, but I quickly realised it was cheaper for me, and the cleaner would earn more, if we ditched the agency. In my experience, private cleaners are miles better than agency ones.

This is the footer on the email that my cleaner sends me with her invoices:

Carlos Almeida and B?

Please introduce us to your friends and let them know who we are and what we do.

Many thanks.

They are a small company looking for more local work.

I think most cleaners will operate as self employed - responsible for their own tax etc so you don't need to worry.

I, out of courtesy, pay an additional one weeks money every quarter as "holiday pay", to cover times we are away or she is on holiday.

Thank you, that makes sense, and I guess if an hourly rate is enough to include insurance to cover e.g. sickness, plus extra weeks to cover holiday, then the person doing the cleaning is as well off as they would be with an employer. Thanks again!

Agree with everyone above. I don't pay holiday pay because they are self employed (like myself - and I certainly don't get holiday pay. But I pay 11 pounds an hour - so more than 25 per cent above the living wage. I still have them clean when I'm away - if I took long holidays I would probably expect to pay a retainer.

Hi

I'm just wondering for those who hire cleaners directly, do you ask for references, copies of passport, if they are insured? Or is that going a bit too far? Is it just a verbal agreement?

I would love to hire a cleaner but am clueless on the admin front.