Your views on free over the counter medicines for kids

emc

On Good Morning Britain on Friday we're doing a piece on the 'NHS Minor Ailment Scheme' (where, in some parts of the UK, you can get things like liquid ibuprofen, plasters, hay fever remedies, etc for free). This is a scheme that's been around for a while but, through social media, it seems that it's only now that many people are becoming aware of it.

Do you think it's fair that the scheme doesn't apply to everyone in the UK?

And is it fair that those who might not need it are using it? i.e should only those who are on lower incomes or benefits be able to access these medicines? if you are happy to put forward your view on TV pls PM me. Thanks

A deeper question we should be asking is whether this scheme is being used to address the oversupply of Pharmacists relative to the under-supply of Physicians, and whether that is truly in the best interests of patients.

I think you are mistaken in what this scheme does. You can only get these medicines for free if you don't pay the prescription charge eg children, people on low incomes. So while you say some people in the UK can't benefit, those people can access exactly the same medicines for free via a free GP appointment. All this scheme does is reduce the demand on GPs, and is targeted at areas where GPs are particularly busy. What's unfair about that?

Now if media, social or traditional, wants to get people steamed up about something unfair, how about the parts of the UK (everywhere except England) where everybody gets free prescriptions??

Yes but who gets free prescriptions isn't always fair. I get free prescriptions because of one drug I need to take daily. Because of that one drug, I get everything free. I now can also get free antihistamines for mild hay-fever, paracetamol for when I've had a few vinos too many, plasters for when I get a blister with my new shoes etc etc. But I earn a reasonable salary so is this really good use of government money?

For those who need it, it's a good scheme and should be helpful if it frees up GP time but there needs to be some level of control to try and make it more targeted.

All children are entitled to free prescriptions. I would love to know if and where this service might be available locally. I spent a fraught few weeks recently trying to get a prescription for antihistamine for my child who was going away on a school trip. Not because I wanted it "free" but because the school were unable to give the medicine which we'd normally buy over the counter without one. I struggled with getting a GP appointment (Dulwich Medical Centre) and was mildly upbraided by the GP who muttered "and its no wonder that people complain about not being able to get appointments" (That he appeared to be the only GP working there at the time is by the by). Sometimes you do need to seek medical advice for a child in a situation where you might not for yourself and where, if GP appointments are scarce, it might be more appropriate to see a pharmacist for "minor ailments". As I understand the scheme they will refer you to your GP for anything not "minor".