Help - travelling with chicken pox, advice needed

Advice greatly appreciated. We are overseas on hols and son has just come down with the dreaded chicken pox. He has a really high temp and I have read that you shouldn't give them neurofen during chicken pox but not sure calpol is going to cut it. Currently 38.8.

Anyone who can advise?

Thanks

Susan

Calpol (paracetamol) is preferred because of small risk of adverse skin reactions to NSAIDS like ibuprofen in CPox. If your child is normally ok with ibuprofen (doesn't have asthma, or any other contraindications), it's probably fine, but definitely speak to a doctor ASAP, so you know what to do should a reaction occur. Never give aspirin. Search "NHS Choices treatment chickenpox" for more info.

You can also bring down a fever with cool packs/cool bath etc, and a paediatric antihistamine can help itch. A registered Pharmacist can assist you further. xx

Thanks in Costa Rica in a small beach town. Fever has gone down (freezer is working overtime making juice lollies).

Praying for a mild dose, first spots appeared yesterday. Can I hope the worst will be over in a day or two?

New blisters form over 3 to 5 days, then scab in another 5 days, with much variability. Scabs may take up to a month to fully heal. Keep skin well moisurised to reduce itch and improve healing.

Other symptoms like fever and fatigue should resolve in about a week. If the fever worsens, or if unusual symptoms develop like vomiting, confusion, extreme fatigue, go to the nearest A&E. Also go to the A&E immediately if your LO gets blisters on the eyeball. Seek additional medical advice if blisters appear to have a secondary bacterial infection.

Hope your LO is better soon. xx

Thanks today he has slept on and off all day but expect this is normal due to fever?

We are using calamine and so far have no itching. Is this the best thing to use? What would be better once it's starting to scab, e45 or similar? Have been able to buy piriton locally

Thanks again

That sounds like you're doing all the right things. Oats in the bath are very soothing. You can put them in a sock and tie a knot. Scrunch the sock under the running bath tap, then let it soak. Be careful because it makes the bath slippery. xx