Swim Baby Swim - Beware!

bobok

For the parents who are looking for swimming lessons for your LO, just want to make you aware of this swim company called Swim Baby Swim (run by Anne Hawley) and stay away from it. We've signed up for a swim course (6 classes) back in May 2015 for starting in June, it was supposed to be at this brand new pool in Bermondsey. We received an email a week before the course from Anne, saying that the new pool wasn't ready and the course would be postponed until September, but we'd be offered 10 classes stead of 6 for compensation. It was a shame, especially since we really wanted DS to start swimming in the summer, so we had to look hard again and finally found him another swimming course.

I wrote back to Anne to ask for a refund instead (especially since it wasn't our fault that the course was postponed). 2 months later (2 emails and 2 phone calls), I still have not heard from her. I should add that she called us right back within an hour of our inquiry for her classes (back in May).

Two other mums are experiencing the same thing. She went MIA on all of us! I may not know how her teaching is, but judging from her business conduct, I doubt that I'd want my DS to be taught by her. We mums have so many things to do, chasing someone for a refund for our LO surely should not be on our lists!

Parents, if you want swimming lessons for your LO, there are other classes out there, get on the wait list of the Leisure Centre (both ED and Peckham Pulse) or Waterbabies is a good one too. Just stay away from Swim Baby Swim!

Thanks Giacomelli.

Yeah, a couple of our friends went with Waterbabies and their LOs loved it too. Shame that there aren't closer location (closest is Lewisham for us!) And all the sessions were all booked at the time when we were looking. We are now with the leisure centre Pulse and DS loves it.

Just wish that we can get that refund from this woman! Or at least just to hear back from her to know what's going on!?

Looks as if she has a Spanish phone number - and a LinkedIn account - maybe she is out of the country at the moment?

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/anne-hawley/97/827/4a2

It may be worth getting someone you know to pose as a new customer to see if she gets back to you quickly, or is otherwise AWOL. Did this with a building company and the issue was quickly resolved, much to their embarrassment, as the builder thought he was coming round to price up a job...

• 2 weeks later...
Bobok - I am in the same boat with Anne Hawley. I paid for lessons in December 2014 (!) and for one reason or another the start date / venue was always cancelled. She emailed saying she would offer a full refund but I am still waiting and have had no reply to any of my emails! Ridiculous!...

• 2 weeks later...

landsberger,

Indeed someone did pose as a new customer and she DID call back very quickly! Ridiculous how people run business! Long story short, 2 emails and 2 phone messages later - with me telling her I'd report her - she finally replied via text message. Her excuse was she was very busy giving out free lessons(!?) and she refused to issue a refund, saying that it was Paypal's (which I used to pay her) responsibility!? I ended up needing to call Paypal and they had to investigate the situation and contact the merchant (Hawley) themselves. 2 weeks later I finally got my refund back!

I strongly recommend people to stay away from this woman / company!

Suhi86,

If you paid via Paypal, although you're out of the 180 days fraud protection (which I was covered luckily), you should think about contacting Paypal at least to let them know about this merchant. Two other moms had done the same thing along with myself, so maybe enough of us would push her on the Paypal blacklist or something.