Is this chicken pox? Again??

Audrey

I hope someone can help, I fear we are going mad.

My daughter had (or so we believed) chicken pox in May 2014. I remember it as it was over the bank holiday, the weather wasn't that great. She didn't have it too badly, was a bit sick, but only had 1 day when she stayed in jamas, she didn't have a crazy amount of spots. She would have been just coming up to 3 then, her 14 month old brother (at the time) didn't show any symptoms.

Roll forward to last weekend, she had a few itchy spots on Sunday, and came out in loads more around her groin that evening. She wasn't unwell, and ate a huge dinner (normal for her). I brought her to the doc on Monday morning and he diagnosed chicken pox, even though I did tell him she already had it, and his response was "I don't see what else it could be". Some had scab bed on her leg, and he pointed to that as his evidence.

Don't get me wrong, they look like chicken pox. But she is not at all unwell in any way. I hate her being off school this week because of her Christmas assembly, but clearly don't want to spread anything esp before the holidays.

Also the spots keep coming, there was a fresh batch today. I would have thought they all come at once. I did wonder if they were bites or something but surely that would limit any outbreak to overnight, if, say, it was bedbugs.

The boy is out in spots as well, but similarity not sick at all.

So, is it chicken pox or is there anything else it might be?

Thanks!

Yes that sounds like CP. The spots do keep coming for a bit. Sounds like the previous case was either not CP (there are other viruses that cause spots), or she is one of the unlucky few to have it twice. There is a genetic link in suspected for these individuals. Hope she's better soon. xx

I had chicken pox twice, once as a 4 year old (I remember it clearly, hot summer doused in calamine lotion) and again at 16. My friend's son has also had it twice (8 months apart) and diagnosed by the GP both times. Such bad luck.

Hope it's over quickly for you all and this time is the last x

Thanks everyone. Spots still appearing, and are now dispersed pretty much all over, so hoping we break the back of it soon. She's still fine tho, so I guess that's good. It does feel like your going a bit crazzzee tho when presented with something that's only supposed to occur once!