Mind Charity shop

sue k

i have regularly supported the Mind charity shop, both donating and buying items. However, i've just come back and been quite surprised by the attitude of a member staff. I'd seen a jacket in the window on Sat, so went in to ask the size/price. I was told ,as it's in the window, we are not allowed to take it down, as the manager is away, he is back on the 7 Oct. I just wanted to see the size and price and the staff member still wouldn't even do this, but assured me as it was in the 'closed' window display, it wouldn't be sold. As i'd noticed the jacket had gone today,i went in to ask. A different member of staff, quite rude, gave me an answer,before i'd even asked the question! me, 'excuse me, could i just ask about a jacket that was in the window...' her; 'if it's not there, it's been sold'. me, 'i haven't even asked the question yet'..'I was wondering if you still have it as i was told it wouldn't be sold until the manager came back'. her, 'this is my first day back from holiday so if it's not there it's been sold'. me, 'I was told it couldn't be sold until the manager came back and i wasn't even able to see the price or size' her, 'this is my first day back from holiday'...I am writing to Mind about this, as feel they are not endearing themselves to customers support/custom. I find it incredible that a charity shop has become so 'awkward' about selling items..has anyone else found this? I think i'll go to another charity shop from now on..

Yep - I've found them to be exceedingly rude in there too. I went to drop off some items some weeks ago and was also met with an unhelpful staff member who acted exceedingly rudely. I get that they are volunteers but some service training surely wouldn't go amiss. No point spending so much renovating a store when your staff act as if it is below them to interact with the public! I take my things to St Christopher's clothes shop now and think the ladies in there are lovely and polite, even when they are busy.

I do know from past experience that following a breakdown in their mental health, many former patients of SLAM used to do a few hours in the MIND shop as part of their rehabilitation, however they were under the supervision of a more experienced volunteer/staff member. I am not sure whether this practice still goes on.

Many charity shops have volunteers who are there as they have been ordered by the courts do undertake community service. Some may not wish to be there but have no choice!

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Many charity shops have volunteers who are there

> as they have been ordered by the courts do

> undertake community service. Some may not wish to

> be there but have no choice!

The charity does. Do they not arrange some initial screening, to check that they and the candidate are likely to be comfortable with each other?