Forum Sponsors

Daisylets Residential Property Management
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageAdvice on shipping house move items cheaply
Posted by tracymcdavis December 05, 05:19PM

An American colleague of mine was made redundant earlier this year and had to leave the UK. She's moved back to the US and she has now decided to stay there.

I have been storing the stuff from her house, as she originally thought she would be coming back to the UK. Now we want to get her stuff shipped across to her as economically as possible - but it's not something I know much about (to say the least!).

Does anybody have any advice on good, cheap ways to do this? It's general household move stuff - about 30 boxes of books, clothes, pictures etc (although I imagine we will do some pruning of that before sending especially if it effects the cost). Timing is not an issue at all.

Thanks!

messageRe: Advice on shipping house move items cheaply
Posted by beansprout December 05, 05:52PM

Have you tried calling a couple of international moving companies and asking to perhas use space in someone elses container going to US? Years ago, this was a cheap way.

Posted by Barbados December 05, 06:17PM

Pm sent

Posted by tracymcdavis December 06, 03:41PM

Thanks. I did contact a few removal firms but the cheapest quote I got was 900 which is completely out of our league. I realise I was naive now but was expecting a couple of 100!

Posted by KidKruger December 06, 05:49PM

the cost may actually make sending the possessions less viable than previously thought.

Posted by IlonaM December 06, 07:43PM

Have you seen this website?: [www.sendmybag.com]

Maybe a source of helpful advice as well as potential way of shipping all/pared down choice to US.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum