Anyone missing a grey cat with purple collar?

alyson_s

I was walking through St Francis Park (between Dog Kennel Hill and Sainsburys) at about 12.30 today, and saw a man attempting to catch a smallish plain grey cat with a purple collar in a box. The cat didn't seem to know him or want to be caught (and the box was a flat fruit tray, so he didn't seem very well prepared for catching a cat) - so I asked him if it was his cat. He said it wasn't, but he thought it had injured one of its legs and it had an address in Lordship Lane on its collar, so he was trying to catch it to take it back there. I asked if there was a phone number on the collar, he said yes but it wasn't working. I had my toddler with me in the buggy so wasn't in a position to stay, so I left him to it.

As much as I hope he was telling the truth (and if he was then I wholeheartedly applaud his efforts), I just wanted to post the info here in case this is your cat and you're wondering where it is. Maybe he won't be successful getting it home, maybe the whole thing was a ruse to kidnap the cat. Who knows. Though I would have thought a professional catnapper would have come better equipped, and probably not work in broad daylight...

I'm pretty sure I've seen this cat in the area (I live on the estate next to Dulwich Hamlet FC) a few times over the past few weeks, or at least one that looks very similar. When I saw it today it didn't seem to be injured (was running away from him pretty successfully!) so not sure why he thought it was hurt. Depending where on LL the cat lives, I would have thought DKH wouldn't be a long trip since they can wander for miles, so maybe it was just out for a stroll and will be back home tonight as normal.

In any case if this sounds like your cat and it's missing, I'd advise having a look around the St Francis Park area. The man I saw was Chinese or Japanese in appearance, early to mid 20s, had black hair cut very short at the sides with a long floppy fringe, and a chunky gold hoop earring. As I say, I'm not assuming he's a catnapper at all, and I hope he manages to bring the cat home safe and well, but didn't want to keep the info to myself just in case!

Sounds weird to me too. If he was close enough to read the tag to see address and phone number, then why would he have to chase it. Just hope cat is fine. I don't think it being daylight would put anyone dodgy off. Thanks alyson_s for posting it on here .

Thank you Alyson - it is my cat and I live close to that park. My cat often goes walkabout - and actually he has injured his back paw and is now in a bandage with a collar round his neck feeling sorry for himself. I am so appreciative of all the people looking out for him - thank you. Luckily the man took him to the vet and the vet called me (however, I had no missed calls on my mobile so I don't think he tried to contact me). Thanks again. My cat has to stay indoors for a while now whilst his wound heals.