Attempted robbery on Upland Road/ Dunstans Road

Hello all,

I have been approached by two young men in the middle of the road at the crossing of Dunstans Road/ Upland road on the way home about 2 weeks ago, who tried to rob me at maybe 9pm.

They approached me with hoods up and masked face asking for the time (so I would show my non-existent watch or get my phone out) and then asked deliberately for my money when I didn't respond to the time trick and threatened me they may have weapons to keep quiet.

I managed to shake them off when cars came from both ways and have reported the incident to the police, but feel there are a lot more suspicious people on Upland Road/ Dunstans Road walking about aimlessly since.

I have always been cautious to not walk around showing valuables etc but it seems they target people walking down the street alone so please be careful and always check who is following you from the bus stops.

Thanks for the info, and glad to hear you're ok. Thanks also for reporting to the police, as any info may help even slightly to prevent a repeat attempt.

I've had similar, twice, in the past few years. I've become fairly sensitive to whether I'm being followed or, as you say, the presence of people aimlessly milling around in quiet places. I guess some would say we shouldn't have to do this, but I think it's rather a fact of life in the city. Doesn't deter me from enjoying living here. But, as an example, I wouldn't take a wandering route home with my laptop bag for precisely this reason; I come home the most direct route, dump it at home, and then pop out to do other errands in the area. The less *stuff* I have on me, the safer I feel.

Dear ianc and Prunella,

Thank you for your kind words.

I grew up in another city of similar size to London with a similar crime rate and were never scared at all. Unfortunately this incident seems to have changed my attitude subconsciously and I now feel very anxious of coming home alone in the evenings - a great difficulty as my partner cannot always meet me on the way home.

Is there anything in particular that has helped you get over this fear after the similar incidents occurred to you?

I was mugged in Camberwell @ 7 years ago, time does heal but you will always be more aware (probably a good thing).

I came close (I think) to a similar incident to this near where this happened @ 645 pm one dark winters evening pushing a double buggy!! I saw the suspicious character from afar and crossed over, and then again walking in the road (lightest part) i walked as fast as possible to the light of Barry Road.

These people are scum, makes me so angry it's a risk to use a mobile whilst mobile / walk home with a laptop. Sadly I think you just have to accept it and take care.

Unfortunately JF we live in uncertain times and the criminals seem to get the upper hand via Justice system etc... but don't despair! your not alone and being a victim of crime only gives one more resolve,if you become frightened and change your personality then they have won - don't let them!

Be aware of your surroundings and act accordingly, walk purposefully and with confidence, so any low-life will think twice about attempting anything.

Above all, try to move on and enjoy life : )

> Is there anything in particular that has helped

> you get over this fear after the similar incidents

> occurred to you?

I think my anger at the way their actions made me feel so frightened was what helped me most. As Prunella says, I refuse to change my walking route, enjoyment of the area, or to feel frightened because of these low-life characters. I think how hard I've worked to put money in my own pocket, and I refuse to see others take it from me because they're too lazy to earn it the hard way.

Yes a guy tried to mug me a couple of months ago too on Upland Road / Barry Road (I posted a separate thread on this). I too have noticed that there seems to be a lot more antisocial behaviour recently. I was woken up the other night by a couple arguing as they walked up the street, only to return 30 minutes later and carry on where they left off!