Crystal palace road - line marking tomorrow??

Jake L

One side of Crystal Palace Road has been blocked off with cones for line marking tomorrow. Does anyone know what his is about? We haven't had any communication about line marking at all. It have a bad feeling about this. They can't impose parkong restrictions or changes without some sort of consultation can they?

Correct - there was no communication about this whatsoever, the first I heard of it being a poor quality printout being stuck to my front windscreen today (Sunday) saying that my car would be towed if it obstructed the marking, starting tomorrow (Monday) - i.e. less than 24hrs notice! Surely consultation is required on this. What problem is this solving?? There is not a parking problem on this road!

I was hoping it would be delineated parking at worst, not double yellow all the way... I'm between the Actress and Crawthew, and can confirm there's been absolutely no advance consultation or warning of this at all. I only found out when a good neighbour spotted my car still on the road at 10pm and texted me!

Chris

A harassed man confirmed to us today that it is temporary and is to facilitate complicated gas works. The shocker is the lack of communication. And a question -- what about weekends?

what a wonderful way to start the new year.

JeanieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So they're only temporary while road works take

> place. It would be useful if they conveyed that

> information on the street.

Yep. I was wondering if that was the case ?

It made little sense to have permanent double lines there.

That's a relief

DulwichFox

It may be worth seeking assurances in advance that the yellow lines will be removed once works completed - sounds obvious now but will be a bigger struggle later to try get them removed.

With yellow lines there it's another parking fine opportunity to be milked.

You can bet 'communication' in the form of parking tickets will be a lot more timely and obvious than the (non) notice of these works was.

How bizarre that no=one was informed?? Someone somewhere is certainly not doing their job - council or contractor I wonder.

Good point about checking they are temporary = the more I read about the council, the less I trust them or their motives.

I should add that I don't include James B as part of the council - he is a valuable and helpful conduit in dealing with them.

What an old grump I am!!!

Just had one conversation with project manager Luke apologising for lack of notice etc etc. He walked off, and literally 2 minutes later a worker came with a roller and black paint and started painting out yellow lines back to black saying there was a mistake and works on CPR between Crawthew Grove and Uplands due to start in a few weeks. Classic!

Can confirm we had all this on Hindmans Rd last summer. Obviously cars need to be moved to carry out the works, however there was no advance notice, work didn't actually start until at least a week after they appeared and the lines didn't go until a few days after work finished.

Have just spoken to one of the Contractors.

The Lines between North Cross and Crawthew were a mistake and are now being burnt off. (heavy chocking fumes)

The lines between Crawthew towards East Dulwich Road are staying .

There are cars parked on CPR with Double Yellow Lines either side of them

The guy I spoke to said they would not be starting road works until 3 weeks time so the cars should be ok.

Although he said he had no idea what was going on so maybe the 3 weeks was referring to the other section.

He had no real ideawhat was going on and apologised for any inconvenience. Clearly not his fault.

Typical Southwark Council faffing about. How much is this all costing.

We all know who is paying.

DulwichFox

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If the work was carried out for gas repairs, can

> this really be put down to a Southwark Council

> mess-up?

Yes. Southwark Council will be responsible for the Yellow Line Painting. Not the Gas companies.

DF