Are there restrictions on burning paper in gardens?

I don't think a one-off is likely to cause a problem. The council would only get involved if it was happening on a regular basis and causing a nuisance. Just try to be considerate and keep the smoke to a minimum and avoid bits of burnt paper ash from flying all over the neighbourhood. If you have a barbeque with a lid that would probably work quite well.

There are excellent incinerators available locally (think metal dustbin with big holes punched it it) - these will reduce wood and paper to ash - but when they are first alight it is good idea to be prepared to damp down surrounding areas as they can be quite fierce. Remember to separate papers a bit - if you try to burn them in big wodges even with this type of incinerator they may not burn through. But they should burn quickly and efficiently - and smoke from papers isn't too offensive (but watch out for neighbours' washing)

What ed_pete said, you can burn what you like in your own garden (although the neighbours may complain and the council can serve an abatement order if you do it repeatedly!)

I burned around 15 years worth of statements in the bbq last year, separate the paper and make sure there's loads of air-flow, otherwise it will just smoulder and produce loads of smoke.

And don't do it on a still, foggy day (today is perfect)

kristymac1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry if this has been covered before,

> I have a lot of personal papers which I need to

> destroy (too many to shred unfortunately) - can I

> burn them in a special incinerator bin or are

> there restrictions against it?

Another thing you can do, which somebody once suggested on here and I successfully tried, is to shove them all in the bath (or a bucket of water) and mash them up.

You get a soggy mess which you could then bin (or, I suppose, use for a papier mache project!)

Anything that produces smoke cannot be burnt..

All clean paper should be put in The Blue Bin..

Any Shreaded paper should be put in an envelope / paper bag and placed in Blue Bin.

Small amounts of Shreaded paper can be put in Brown Bin for composting.

DulwichFox

Just because someone didn't complain on a particular day doesn't mean it's all right. Burning material that produces smoke - in the garden or in the fireplace - is not allowed, with good reason. (There are plenty of EDites who burn wood/coal and it really does cause breathing difficulties for some people, so if you are doing it, or planning bonfire, please don't!)

kristymac1 Wrote:

> Thanks All - bath water is great idea!

Leave it a while to soak, squidge it around (wear rubber gloves), squeeze it out (make sure no bits are still identifiable) then put it all in a black bag in the green bin :)

ed_pete Wrote:

> Mustard Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why are wood burners allowed?

>

> Because they are exempted.

>

> https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

That website says that bonfires are allowed but are not allowed to be a nuisance, so those of you saying burning material that produces smoke are incorrect. Frequent bbqs are a nuisance. Hello all you Australians out there...