Tree Loss...any plans to replace?

smartie1

There have been quite a number of mature trees removed from worlingham road (and other roads too I assume?)

Whilst I understand they are apparantly being removed because they are diseased - I'm concerned that they aren't being replaced. The ones removed about 6 months ago haven't been and another one went today. It's changing the look of a lovely tree lined street and also removing yet another sanctuary for wildlife.

Anyone know anything about the plans for replacing them?

This is useful... I'm still trying to work my way through all the layers of obstacles under the radar, so I'll go round to Worlingham over the weekend and have a look.

Do you know what species of trees are diseased and being removed?? We may need to agree a smaller species based on the pavement width.

At the moment there are only 5 replacement trees planned for East Dulwich ward in this season, so I'm trying to get this extended (although we may have to roll some of the plantings over into the next CGS round). I'm identifying ways around the new planting protocols, but getting appropriate trees added to the planting list via several layers of management is exhausting.

There's one tree on the list for Worlingham, but it's a Prunus kanzan which is possibly one of the most awful species on the planet, so I'll see if I can get that changed.

I was going to update all the councillors (and Gary Meadowcroft) once I got a better idea of what was going on, so let's all campaign in unison.

Also, let me know if there are any other roads that need trees (or where new trees were previously requested and rejected) so that we can start another list from scratch again.

Street Tree planting is a really specific technical exercise, but the amount of public money wasted on mistakes and poor maintenance is mind-boggling.

On a related issue - where an insurance company has identified a council tree as the culprit in a subsidence case and the council agrees to chop it down, is there a requirement to replace with a different tree? I am asking as this has happened with two trees in our street and currently in our own situation. So three gaps where lovely pear and cherry trees were is an eyesore apart from anything else. A mystery why certain trees, though beautiful, are planted only to be removed?

Hi Cella... usually pear trees and certain cherry trees (i.e. Yedoensis) are planted precisely because they don't have large root systems and tend not to cause subsidence, but everything depends on the circumstances. I've seen cases of architects positioning a modern new-build house right up against the pavement next to a Victorian chestnut tree, which has been there longer than most of the houses around here (ED used to be farmland), and then apply to have the ancient tree removed, claiming subsidence.

But now I'm working with tree officers to look at even smaller trees than the pears and cherries for narrow pavements, so that residents can experience a bit of greenery along more narrow 20th century pavement layouts.

Where is your road? I'll have a look when I'm out walking one day... If there was genuine subsidence due to the tree roots, it's best not to replant anything in the same location, but it's sometimes possible to relocate a set of smaller trees in another position and get a positive visual effect.

Its Keston Road. Thanks. The house next door is a housing association building and is affected in the same way but all their repairs and redecoration has been completed so presumably they didn't feel it necessary to chop the tree. It would be good to know as we are very reluctant to have it removed if there is any way it can be saved.

Hi again Cella... I can only look at CGS funded tree planting proposals in East Dulwich ward, so if you're trying to save a tree, then I would recommend contacting your local councillor for an update and then discuss replacements with them.

As it happens, you're in The Lane ward and one of your councillors is actually the Chair of the Planning Committee, so I would strongly recommend you contact Nick Dolezal. His contact details can be found in this link:-

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=899

Let me know what happens!

p.s. It's possible that we may end up in the same ward (to be called Goose Green ward) after the boundaries change next May 2018, but I can't find the new documentation offhand.

Hi smartie1... I went round Worlingham and had a look. It looks like several Copper Beeches (?) have been removed, which is hearbreaking.

There is a mishmash of trees that have been replanted along there over the years - looks like some hawthorns, pear trees and some not very exciting cherries, but it's hard to tell.

Plus, the maintenance is awful, with loads of sprouts around the pits.

There needs to be some kind of overall thought given to how to restore the character of the whole street with smaller trees, but I suspect the planting will continue to be hit and miss.

I'll try saying something to the tree dept in tandem with residents and let's see what happens...

Hi Nigello... most of the pits with yellow markings are around dead tree stumps, so hopefully this also means that the stumps are due to be removed and replanted in this round.

I tend to get a bit nervous after a perfectly healthy live tree was removed by accident from Lordship Lane one year because the wrong pit had been marked, so will be holding my breath...

It would be good if the powers that be actually recorded the reasons for removing trees (which they may do) - some are of course legitimate, and disease problems could preclude either like-for-like replacement, or perhaps (e.g. honey fungus) any replacement at all. It would also be nice to see evidence of planning the street environment - so looking at what the range of trees in a street are and what they offer. At the moment for instance Court Lane is a good example of exciting planting for autumn colour, although many trees are on on private rather than public land.

Thank you so much for coming to have a look at a Worlingham RD Robin. I'm no expert when it comes to tree types but agree that there's definitely a mix of trees that are left.

Is there anything that I can do to help support this issue? Happy to lend a voice/email or whatever we can do.

Hi Peng... there is a yearly tree maintenance list spreadsheet produced which I have been trying repeatedly to get my hands on in an effort to address any mistakes before they happen. But I keep hitting dead ends. I had to really struggle to get copies of the planting lists for this year and correcting the mistakes is a serious effort, which is why some of the CGS planting funds will probably be rolled over again.

I think all this used to be published on the Southwark website, so maybe we can campaign for this to happen again?

Hi again smartie... let me have a think and see if I can get a coherent explanation from the tree dept. I'll stay in touch and let you know, but I suspect that you'll get the one ugly Kanzan this year. However, we'll see if we can do more next year with CGS.

The key is having a planting theme for each road agreed in advance rather than throwing random trees into random pits across the ward, but achieving this is really difficult.