Barry Road -- healthy streets consultation

Sally Eva

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/barryroad/

Closes October 14th. So only open for about 3 weeks.

The pre-amble says: Southwark became a 20mph borough in 2015. However, a review of average speeds has shown that in some areas speeds are much higher than this. On Barry Road average speeds exceed 24mph, with many vehicles exceeding 30mph. Residents have told us that these speeds can make the road dangerous for pedestrians and other road users. We have a responsibility to take action to ensure that legal speed limits are observed and protect the welfare of all road users.

The BARA Committee and I will be meeting the planners behind the latest proposals to reduce Traffic Speed in Barry Road. Having now done 2 Road Watches in the past 3 weeks I can confirm that drivers are regularly driving in excess of 25 mph. With the problems with postal deliveries in the area, I have met only one person who has received a letter re consultation (they live about 10 doors away from me). We hope at the meeting to persuade the planners to hold a public consultation and extend the consultation date to enable people who are not on line. Will post more details when we have them.

from what I have seen on line, there will be much reduced parking in Barry Road which will have implications for the side streets. It is not clear as to whether the CPZ consultation is also connected with the Speed Reduction scheme.

Well I have just finished filling in the online form kindly supplied by Sally Eva.

It doesn't take long and unless one wants to have nothing done and vote with ones's feet. Will remain the same - we have already lost sorting office and post is very irratic - not the samething but we are discussing the possibility of someone or people being killed here.

I actually was prsent at one of these road watches and we clocked numerous people driving over 30 mph.

Not keen on loosing parking spaces with from what I have seen less around roads convenient to Barry Road but that is life and I for one would like to feel safe crossing the road as I have mobility issues.

Could one not think about a charge for vans that seem to park for hours at a time and this is going to go down badly but a charge for people who have more than one car in a house.

What strange proposals.

On crystal Palace Road the council plans to remove the traffic islands put in years ago to slow traffic down. The council thinks removing them will reduce conflicts between motor vehicles and people cycling and wont lead ot people driving faster. Then they propose to install islands on Barry Road to slow vehicles down.

How topsy turvey - left hand not knowing or caring what the right hand is doing.

The obvious measure is average speed cameras. They would kill the speeding problem totally and overnight and cost nothing. They're funded by offering speeders the opportunity of speed awareness course instead of points and the fees for those courses funds the cameras.

Good idea James. Unfortunately I suspect there are many examples of I'll thought out traffic calming measures being put in and then removed not much later at huge cost due to complaints from residsnts. On my road speed bumps/tables had to be taken out as the regular buses going over them caused nearby houses to shake.

That said, I don't really understand why the council is agreeing to these changes to Crystal Palace Road.

As a resident on Barry Road I am very concerned about the proposals. I agree that a speed camera seems like the most simple solution.

Parking is already very tight which makes it difficult with children and shopping!

It feels like there is a push for controlled parking and by putting more pressure on this would be more likely to happen. I personally don?t want to have to pay to park near my house.

Average speed cameras are good in principle but how would it work on Barry Road with its multiple crossings? This must be considered in relation to the planned CPZ in adjoining streets.

The 2012 Grove Vale Consultation Report states that parking restrictions provide a critical tool in keeping traffic flowing and improving road safety.

I would like to see the Councils evidence that parking restrictions improve safety. It seems contrary to the Council?s statements in its own Streetscape Design Manual that improved visibility can lead to increased speed.

In addition to the extensive double yellow lines already on corners, the additional parking restrictions eg 2m plus on every dropped kerb, that would come with the CPZ, coupled with speed restrictions on Barry Road would certainly increase the attraction of the side roads for rat running.

MarkT

Barry Road definitely needs to be tackled. However, I live on Upland Road (between Barry Road and Crystal Palace Rd) and it is already a busy cut through for traffic, so this may increase. There are speed bumps on the street, but due to them being so shallow and spread far apart they have absolutely no effect on the speed of traffic.... especially for larger vehicles.

MarkT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Average speed cameras are good in principle but

> how would it work on Barry Road with its multiple

> crossings? This must be considered in relation to

> the planned CPZ in adjoining streets.

Even if only a minority of cars were travelling the full length of the road it would slow the overall speed of traffic including for those joining/leaving on the crossing roads. Place a third camera towards the middle and you probably catch most people.

There is also a significant deterrent effect from having visible cameras even if they don't catch anyone/everyone.