Dulwich Going Greener - project news

Some updates on a few local Dulwich Going Greener initiatives...

Dulwich Going Greener has obtained a small amount of funding from Veolia to continue running Give & Take events at the Francis Peek Centre in Dulwich Park three times a year. That means there's funding for PAT testing of electrical devices, so you can leave an electrical device knowing it will be tested for safety before it gets handed on to its new owner. The next Give & Take will be in the autumn, and details will be posted here on EDF, as well as in the DGG newsletter.

DGG has also been awarded a small amount of funding to get an electricity monitor loan scheme off the ground in Dulwich area. DGG will be working with Dulwich Library and Southwark Council on this one, and will be making use of some under-utilised monitors in the depths of some Southwark warehouse. (Unfortunately Grove Vale library does not have any room at present to house such stuff, but this is a start, and we hope to be able to extend the scheme if it works out well.) The idea is that you will be able to take out an electricity monitor from the library in the same way that you can take out a book, and - importantly - with full instructions and information to make the most of it. Great if you'd like to address electricity use in your home but think that electricity monitors are a little expensive. (In my view, they are.) And good because most of the gain you make from using an electricity monitor is in the first weeks of use, so ideal for lending.

On a different topic entirely, Rosebery Lodge in Dulwich Park (at the Park gate near the Harvester) now has planning permission for change of use to 'D1 community' (with various non-community D1 uses specifically excluded). The planning meeting a couple of weeks back was a bit of a marathon: the decision was at 11.15pm, owing to the large number of big cases heard before it, I'd had no lunch or dinner, and the meeting room resembled a sauna with the air-con having no perceptible effect. Councillor Robin spoke in favour, as did DGG, and all the councillors seemed to think it was a 'good thing', given the building had been empty for years.

At the same time, the Cleaner, Greener, Safer fund money awarded for Rosebery Lodge works (to the Dulwich Society) last year is now flowing, with the rear extension of Rosebery currently being weather-proofed and with the builders working like billy-ho to get the disabled toilet etc. into the building. Dulwich Going Greener, the Dulwich Society, and the Friends of Dulwich Park have each contributed from their own funds to enable this project to happen, as the CGS funds were insufficient. The works at Rosebery Lodge will mean the Dulwich Veg Garden gardeners will have shelter from the storm, a kettle, and a (disabled) loo, and a plus for Southwark is that the building will be occupied. I was down at Rosebery Lodge this morning with Ian M of the Dulwich Society, and the builders are working hard, so everything is on schedule to have a grand opening this summer. DGG is also working with the parks department and the Friends to get signage in the Park improved so people actually know the community veg garden is there. Everyone is welcome to come along to DVG workdays on Wednesday and Sunday mornings (10.30am-12.30pm).

Dulwich Veg Garden update from this morning: the celeriac is looking great - as are the toms, the spuds, the chard, the Chinese cabbage, the sweetcorn and much much more - and the companion planting marigolds were going in this morning, but the consensus on the cardoon is 'not exactly tasty!' so it's being left to grow out and provide a display.

If you'd like to find out more about any of these projects, or if you've got projects or ideas of your own that you'd like to get off the ground, or if you just want to chat about mosaic virus or solar installations or house insulation... or anything else with a green tinge, why not pop down to Green Drinks tonight (Wednesday) from 7.30pm at Green & Blue. Everyone welcome. Full details in the Events section:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,696900