Together we Create free kids workshops, 15 and 22 September, 11:00 to 16:30, Brixton Pound Cafe

MadBoom

As part of Brixton Design Trail, come along to our free workshop by Kids Kreate at the Brixton Pound Cafe, 77 Atlantic Road. The free session are on Saturday 15 September and 22 September between 11:00 and 16:30.

Art workshops for kids, creating ?outdoor toys? to accompany local architect Krishan Pilch?s drawings and 3d model for an Adventure Playground.

Using recycled and other materials we will imagine, draw and figure out together the things kids would love to see in a playground ? kids usually have the best ideas! The mix of 2d and small 3d work will be shown with Krishan?s and strengthen his plan to gain funding for this local Adventure Playground. An exciting project, we would love to see you inspire it.

What will you make? Your ideas of how to climb, swing, tunnel, slide and make a hut to hide in of course! How about interactive toys too, maybe a bike that powers lights for fun signs ? play, love, laugh? Giant puzzle toys to solve together that are powered by skipping ropes or perhaps an unfinished bridge where extra pieces can be used in many ways to cross it? These ideas are entirely up to you, it?s all about the excitement of inspiration and creation.

Each child will make two things, one to take home and one to remain at Brixton Pound Caf? for the Exhibition. The architect will be there to explain the design process and brings knowledge and technical skills to this fun and collaborative day.

No need to book, it?s a pop in workshop.

About Kids Kreate

Kids Create is a weekly free art club for children age 5 - 12 held at the Brixton Pound Caf? every Saturday morning, exploring lots of ways of making, from clay modelling to shoe design. Hosted by Jackie Keane, the group gives children in Brixton a creative outlet to learn and grow. Kids Kreate plan to expand by Crowdfunding to form a Community Interest Company which will give them the ability to provide art at other venues in Lambeth. Without doubt there is a real need for this and as art continues to disappear from schools as well as children?s centres, Kids Kreate can ensure their community that they will always be there for them.

What is the Brixton Pound Cafe?

The Brixton Pound Cafe is a pay-what-you-can cafe on Atlantic Road, Brixton. Every day we craft delicious vegetarian and vegan meals from surplus donated food. Each week we save around 65kg of food from landfill. In doing so, we provide a community hub, amazing dishes and a way for everyone to pay what they can afford. We're at 77 Atlantic Road, Brixton SW9 8PU.

A short note about the Brixton Pound

We are also home to the?Brixton Pound, currency that sticks to the local area and boosts the local economy. Our range of notes includes local heroes David Bowie, Olive Morris and Violette Szabo. You can use the notes in local shops or collect them as souvenirs. Call into the the cafe to find out more.?

Brixton Pound Cafe contact details

We're open between 8.30am and 6pm on weekdays and between 9am and 6pm on Saturdays. We also run events such as knit and natter and lifedrawing sessions, yoga for children and a monthly film club. You can hire our space by [email protected]. Our address is 77 Atlantic Road SW9 8PU.?