Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

Your Local Personal Trainer

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messageSouthwark Licensing Advice
Posted by happyduck June 21, 02:06PM

Hi All

I've asked this before but I'm not a bit further down the line.

I'm applying for an additional License (Not an HMO) from Southwark Council. I am renting to 4 people (not 5 which requires an HMO) and am outside the designated areas.

I have smoke alarms and CO2 detecters on all floors of my house. They are battery operated and working perfectly.

In order to complete the application on the Southwark Website I need to provide a Fire Detection System Certificate.

Can anyone tell me what this is and how I get one. The Estate Agent is sending in an electrician. It seems to be I'm paying in 100 for someone to press the check buttons on 4 smoke alarms. Can that be right?

Any advice on all this would be great. It's doing my head in.


messageRe: Southwark Licensing Advice
Posted by MarkT June 21, 04:08PM

Are you questioning:
- the size of the bill for a professional visit?
- whether an authorised person is required to provide a certificate, or can you do it yourself?
- whether battery detectors are acceptable to the Council, or must they be mains-connected, and inter-linked?

messageRe: Southwark Licensing Advice
Posted by MrsR June 21, 09:33PM

Hi Daisy

Your property is an additional hmo (smaller hmo for three or four persons) Mandatory hmos are for five or more unrelated persons. Most London local authorities consult with the London fire brigade and refer to Lacors guidance (google it) look at category A hmos from page 43. Single or two storey hmos usually require mains fed interlinked smoke detectors, three storey hmos require a full automatic fire detection system with a control panel. You normally need half hour fire doors throughout with intumescent strips/cold smoke seals and self closers.
Best to speak to an enforcement officer at Southwark Council to be absolutely sure.

messageRe: Southwark Licensing Advice
Posted by Blah Blah June 22, 09:45PM

As Mrs S says, you will find that your smoke and fire alarm systems have to be mains operated with battery back up in order to pass that required certificate. So you will need an electrician to carry out that work.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum