We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messagerip off high prices local hardware diy shops lordship lane
Posted by jonah May 07, 11:12AM

im always a bit shocked at east dulwich diy shop prices but PLOUGH diy shop near the libary is the most greedy rip off prices i have ever come across...they charged £12 95 for flashband i went to B&Q the same flashband was £3.75...they are criminals at PLOUGH DIY ...save yourself a fortune dont shop at plough diy

messageRe: rip off high prices local hardware diy shops lordship lane
Posted by slarti b May 07, 11:25AM

I have been going there for decades. Some of their prices are higher than big DIY shops, some are lower. But whichever, they are much more convenient. If you don't like the prices go somewhere else.

btw I have no connection with Plough Homecraft except as a long standing occassional customer.

Posted by tiddles May 07, 11:51AM

also remember these independants do not have anything like the buying power of the big chains (who can demand massive discounts)

Always found plough (and the other DIy shops on LL) helpful and knowledgeable.

I also have no connection with any of these businesses.

Posted by alice May 07, 12:08PM

The staff are so knowledgeable, you can get a single item rather than big pack at etc
Excellent

Posted by KidKruger May 07, 12:44PM

Plough are known for being a bit pricey, but they are a solid DIY store and everyone there usually knows enough to provide advice which can save you time and money.
As somebody said, if you don't like their prices shop elsewhere, but something else you purchase at Plough may well be cheaper / equivalent priced to other DIY stores so it slides both ways.
I actually find all the DIY stores in SE22 offer good advice and a decent range of items - we are lucky.
Been using them all for 30yrs (3x house renovations), Plough and the rest collectively all provide a decent go-to resource in SE22.
Loss of Plough would leave a massive hole in that resource IMO.
When you include the builder / timber centres, we're actually blessed !!

Posted by malumbu May 07, 01:07PM

Nice shop the Plough. Not sure why you have resorted to social media to slag them off. Always very helpful. You've got B&Q, and on-line Wickes, Tool Station and Screwfix otherwise. DIY shops further down into Dulwich also good. Individual service not price.

Posted by Cyclemonkey May 07, 01:08PM

I am a complete idiot when it comes to DIY so I find the advice at the Plough essential. It might be cheaper on Amazon or at B&Q but I save money in the long run by getting the right thing and only as much as I need.

Posted by Cyclemonkey May 07, 01:11PM

Also a quick google seems to reveal the pri e for Flashband across a wide range of retailers is between £8 - £14.

Posted by Peckhampam May 07, 02:45PM

Sometimes I love this forum

Posted by katezerooo May 07, 02:49PM

They were really friendly and helpful when I went in and needed advice on what to use to put up heavy pictures/mirrors on our crumbly walls - didn't patronise me at all like I've experienced elsewhere. Yes you might buy something cheaper on Amazon but you get none of the advice.

Posted by dbboy May 07, 02:59PM

I find it depends who is serving, some I find are more helpful than others, but still a good resource locally bearing in mind they had to move into the current premises from a couple of doors up. Don't think it was out of choice, more a case of a greedy landlord.

Posted by ianr May 07, 03:14PM

> they charged £12 95 for flashband i went to B&Q the same flashband was £3.75

Which brand, grade/type/spec, dimensions?

Posted by AP Garden Services May 07, 08:13PM

The plough homecraft are great, they ALWAYS have what I need screw/bits wise and everything gardening related, as people point out, I can go in there and buy one screw, you can't do that in any of the DIY shops in east dulwich!
Love their shop and their incredibly knowledgeable staff,
Also their rubble sacks are the best rubble sacks I've ever used by miles
I don't mind paying more for things if I can get them first try, as time is more valuable than all

Posted by singalto May 09, 07:11PM

I really like both DIY stores on LL. I usually go to Dulwich DIY but have also been to the Plough one. I save lots of money by a/ buying the right thing and b/ not buying things I havenít gone shopping for such as plants!

Posted by Sue May 11, 09:50AM

I too have always found the people at Plough really helpful, and there is never any pressure to buy.

Jonah, your post is way over the top. Criminals? Really?

As with anything, if you find their prices too high, shop elsewhere.

Posted by sweetgirl May 13, 01:04PM

Many shops around here charge what I consider to be rip off prices..... I just don't spend my money with them!
Most times I prefer to venture out as I like choices
Certainly during the covid times many are taking it too far with pricing!

Posted by KidKruger May 13, 01:25PM

Let's not forget Shaun's DIY up by ED station.
So we have THREE dedicated DIY shops in ED, all providing decent service and good advice IMO.

Posted by dbboy May 13, 02:35PM

In my case convenience says plough DIY or Dulwich DIy, but Shauns always provides great service.

Posted by Blondie May 18, 11:53AM

Does anyone know if Shaun's DIY is open at the moment? Wanting to avoid running the social-distancing gauntlet if its not open.

Posted by AC1964 May 19, 06:21AM

Hereís another vote of confidence for The Plough DIY. Sure, the big chains are maybe cheaper but I donít drive and so when Iíve factored in the minimum £3 cost of bussing it there and back... hmmm.

Whatís more the quality of advice at The Plough is second to none. Unlike some DIY shops, they donít look at you askance if you have a rookie question.

And the old maxim holds true. If you find the prices too high, the quality of advice inadequate and if you have wheels to allow you to shop elsewhere then vote with your feet. In the meantime Iíll use mine to walk between The Plough DIY and my home when I need some bits and pieces of gear.

Posted by wilson May 19, 10:50AM

cute little DIY on Gipsy Road...always seem to have that widget you lost from the Jet wash.

Aladdins cave and lovely little chap sells allsorts

Posted by spoiltdog May 19, 12:54PM

Have been using Plough,for a few years now,as well as Shauns,and Dulwich DIY,Overall all 3 are very helpful,even with advice ,Comparing Prices to Large DIY Shops Dont think you can compare price ,As a regular Tradesman working in and around East Dulwich more than Happy to take my Purchase to smaller Business in East Dulwich

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher May 21, 05:46PM

I bought a hot air gun this afternoon from Shaun's DIY. It was considerably cheaper than Argos and B&Q.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum