Cycle shelter v footpath repaving - not joined up thinking

A cycle shelter is being fitted to a section of Goodrich Road. Great, except that this section will be taken up very shortly to be repaved, thereby meaning the shelter will have to be taken off and put back again (because two of the feet are screwed into the kerb).

I told the installers that I had just been talking to the gaffer at Conway, just 200 yards away, who had told me about this section being repaved soon and that it would be useful to talk to him to see when exactly when the repaving would be done with a view to postponing fitting the shelter. The installer didn't make any promises which is fair enough as he is there to do his job, but the shelter is now being fitted and will be uprooted and re-installed within months (or not re-installed at all).

It's disturbing that the people in charge of pavements haven't noticed this discrepancy and that money will now be wasted (if, as I suspect, the installing company will not re-install free).

I did ring the local councillor but I had to leave a message.

If I have got this wrong and the powers that be indeed do know, then it still seems a waste.

Hi Nigello,

Usually repaving doesn't involve reinstalling the kerb. When it does it results in the need for some of the road to be removed and then re tarmac which significantly increasing the cost.

And most often two legs of the Bikehangars are resting or attached to the kerb. IF that's the case her then should be fine if a little restricting on the people doing the repaving in that section.

The repaving along Goodrich - are they re positioning the kerb?