Peckham Rye; Additional Telecommunication Masts & Satellite dishes

A planning application has been issued to install an additional 6 telecommunication masts and 2 satellite dishes to the roof of 136/ 134 Peckham Rye.

Planning Ref: 19/AP/1149

No notice has been given directly to the occupants & owners of the flats within the buildings or that of the language school and surrounding neighbours in the area.

136/ 134 Peckham Rye will become extremely top heavy with telecommunication equipment - the property is only 4 stories high and the equipment is deeply intrusive.

The development goes against all the clauses stated in the Southwark Plan.

Contractors enter the building without any consent from the owners of the flats.

Access concerns have been raised for maintenance; as previous concerns about blocking fire escapes from flats within the building have not been addressed.

The existing development already looms over the Gardens Conservation area.

I'd appreciate any support in objecting to these latest plans; which you can do so via the planning portal: [www.planning.southwark.gov.uk]

Proposed elevation plans attached.

I imagine this may be about 5G introduction - in which case probably a good thing. More masts than already exist on this roof won't be a major eye-sore - it's not as if it's really blocking a view from anywhere. Indeed, and in general, improved signal is generally a good thing, 4G or 5G. But the benefits from 5G, including integrated and real-time control of emergency services etc. is to be desired.

Great news, fully support the installation of new masts - I always notice a drop in signal around Peckham Rye, particularly when I'm on the train on the way to/from work. These masts along with phone poles and wires, electricity pylons etc. fade into the background in no time.

Obviously shouldn't be blocking a fire escape though.

The proposals could clearly be more discrete and achieve the same ends. Less iron work would also save the operator some money.

You can object for reasons of aesthetics and our of proportion to the property. I would always counsel where possible to make a suggestion of practical compromise.

"In theory, 5G will be able to simultaneously support more than a million devices per sq km (0.4 sq miles), a big jump over the 60,000-odd devices that 4G technology maxes out at.

But to make this possible, antennas will be needed all over the place - from lamp-posts to bus shelters, in addition to more of the rooftop masts we're already used to."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48426481

• 4 weeks later...