Temporary traffic lights East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye junction

damzel

Does anyone know when the temporary traffic lights at the East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye junction will be gone? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I searched but couldn't find anything. Need to know if I have to find an alternative route to work next week. Traffic was a nightmare before Christmas.

And even now they've finally stumbled around to digging up a bit of road, you STILL don't need contraflows. It's down to one traffic flow each way. WHY? Mainly I'm a cyclist so I just sail through, but when on the bus it drives me nuts.

they had police directing traffic by 9am this morning rather than rely on the lights - this meant that more than 3 cars got through at a time so speeded things up a bit but the junction is pretty much un-useable unless you don't mind a 15 minute delay to your journey and if you're on foot it is danagerous since as Huggers says it's not clear when it's safe to cross

does anyone know who is in charge of this sort of thing? - i've not seen any information about how long the roadworks will be going on for (the optimistic bit of me thought they started before christmas so they could get the work done during the holiday period.....)

and I'm sure the police have better things to do than direct traffic

They are a complete joke. They allow traffic flow in only one direction at a time, so they are at least 50% less efficient than the previous permanent lights. And absolutely no work has begun!

I ignored them this morning and just turned left when there was oncoming traffic. I'm not going to be late for work just because some guy couldn't be bothered to install a filter light and program them up properly.

This is ridiculous. And not even telling anyone what they are doing. The traffic is frequently nose to tail right up into Grove Vale because of this. I have alerted the local press. Hopefully they will pursue TfL and expose their unaccountability, hopeless communications and bad planning.

JBARBER Wrote in Weather issues theme:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I believe the tailback was due to TfL who control

> all our traffic lights taking the East Dulwich

> Road/Peckham Rye lights out of operation and

> putting tempporary lights in their place. I

> believe they were working on the permanent lights.

> Weirdly this work has taken around 3-4 weeks.

>

> TfL a law unto themselves.

Hi Eileen,

I was left a garbled message which sounded like TfL and as I described. I then received an email that was very different and I immedaitely edited my post to explain SOuthern Gas. They still have gas leaking into electricity ducts and have to find the leak and although it was all meant to finish today will still require further holes to be dug.

whichever agency it is who is responsible needs to be exposed as being seriously deficient at the very least in communicating with the public. This disruption has been going on for weeks. Is there no system for reporting all road works to some central place in the Council? if not, surely there should be?

JBARBER Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Eileen,

> I was left a garbled message which sounded like

> TfL and as I described. I then received an email

> that was very different and I immedaitely edited

> my post to explain SOuthern Gas. They still have

> gas leaking into electricity ducts and have to

> find the leak and although it was all meant to

> finish today will still require further holes to

> be dug.

Are the council on one of those crazy spend it this year or lose it next drives? As for the pvt cos digging the road up, I read with interest that Boris is trying to curb their powers and give tfl a more co-ordinating role. Sounds good in theory.

This is gas works to solve leaking gas into electricity ducts. Electricity and gas don't mix safely. Until southern Gas fixes all the leaks they'll keep digging.

As for Boris's piggy backing onto London Councils law changes. He has no shame.

Southwark has not joined the first tranche of 16/33 London councils with this new power. Would we really want ot financially incentivise a gas company to not fix gas leaks?

Do we really wantto financially incentivise water companies to not fix leaks but instead impose water restrictions in summertime that cost it nothing?

Well JB you obviously know more about this than me. But I thought the idea was to penalise for over-running works and to get greater co-ordination of works, both of which sound like good ideas on the face of it.

How would the new powers incentivise a gas company not to fix leaks? The same question about the water you mention.

As Lewisham is one of the boroughs, perhaps there'll be some comparisons to be had.

JB It's obviously not an urgent leak, since they've been supposedly looking for it for weeks now and I've not once seen any workmen there!

Any why didn't they match the phasing of the permanent lights? I see no reason for traffic flow in one direction at a time.

No I saw some workmen - once in the last 3 weeks. Just a big hole there this morning and the usual hold up to the traffic.

Since this technically isn't James's area of responsibility but he does seem to know who to call at the gas company to chase it up could he perhaps post or PM the number to call - then perhaps ED Forumites can make a nuisance of themselves until someone takes steps to get this fixed. As things stand, no one is taking the rap for this and it will likely go on for months.

I agree, this work is just a joke. Surely, the disruption they are causing to traffic and local area productivity, not to mention the regulating of the buses (so that they all now arrive at once) warrants them to put extra hours in to get this fixed.

From what I have seen, this seems to be a strictly Monday to Friday 9 - 5 job, if that (dont mention the breaks for holidays or poor weather).

Get them down there working overtime and on weekends to solve this issue and restore the junction back to what it was.

9 to 5, I don't think so. There's never been anybody there when I pass just after 4pm. Seems strange no ones seen any workmen but holes keep appearing, perhaps they work through the night? Stinks of gas though - how dangerous is it exactly?