sociable cycle ride Sat May 4th 10am start

A non-hilly ride from Dulwich Park to the Thames and back...........mmmmm, I'm sceptical myself. I think it must be based on a definition of "non-hilly" that does not equal flat. Still, that's the promise. The ride starts from Dulwich Clock Cafe in the middle of Dulwich Park SE21 7EU at 10am and finishes in the same place two hours later.

In between the route follows the the ?lost? river Effra to the Thames which seems right because water flows downhill. The outward leg goes via Brockwell Park to Brixton town centre where as you may have noticed the traffic can be heavy but stationary = slow. The route down Brixton Road and round the Oval is gently downhill and mostly uses bus lanes.

There will be a stop on Vauxhall Bridge to note where the Effra was marked as flowing into the Thames (it's next to the MI6 building, London's ugliest piece of Lego). Since we are learning about Bazalgette at the moment we should note that 'twas he who buried the Effra in a sewer in the mid-1860s. The return ride will be via Kennington Park and Myatts Fields.

There really are no significant hills on this Dulwich ride. It starts at 131ft above sea level and descends to 16 ft. Then it goes back up again. With all the small bumps there is a total of 245ft of ascent, all low slope stuff. You see what I mean about "non-hilly" not equalling flat.

The route is at

This is an easy-paced two hour ride. Free for all and all welcome.

These rides are organised by Bruce Lynn and friends on behalf of Southwark Cyclists and we are the borough branch of the London Cycling Campaign. Everything we do is free and open to all. It's all here: https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk. Rides and events by other borough groups across London are here: https://lcc.org.uk/events