Would you use a doula for pregnancy, birth and beyond?

bee74

I m just curious to know how many people would consider this... as I am giving some thought to training as one.

Thank you.

If you're not sure what a doula is:

http://www.doula.org.uk/

Today's mother is generally not given the chance to enjoy her pregnancy, labour and new baby because of the pressures that society places upon her.

"Doula" (pronounced "doola") is a Greek word meaning "woman servant or caregiver". It now refers to an experienced woman who offers emotional and practical support to a woman (or couple) before, during and after childbirth. A doula believes in ?mothering the mother? - enabling a woman to have the most satisfying and empowered time that she can during pregnancy, birth and the early days as a new mum. This type of support also helps the whole family to relax and enjoy the experience.

Birth doulas are trained and experienced in childbirth, although they may or may not have given birth themselves. They have a good knowledge and awareness of female physiology BUT the doula is not supporting the mother in a clinical role - that is the job of the midwife/medical staff.

Postnatal doulas work flexible hours to suit the family, offering practical and emotional support to the new mother and father in the home following the birth of baby. In the West today, too often mothers are rushed back into normal day-to-day activities; in many cultures women are confined to bed and rest for a period of up to 40 days. This may be impossible in our society but with the help of a postnatal doula, a mother can enjoy some of the benefits of a prolonged "lying in" period. This will help her bond with her baby and spend extra time with any older siblings. Our work is about empowering a family to take care of itself and we facilitate this by helping around the house and offering encouragement and suggestions.

? Copyright 2005 Doula Uk Ltd | Terms

ou

They are very popular in Canada, where (I think) birth is more medicalised than here (i.e. most people don't have the option of midwife-led care, if I understand correctly from my friends) so people hire their own doulas.

I think of them more as support during the birth process, but interesting to hear about the postnatal aspect. I hadn't realised this was a part of what a doula does.

I would definitely consider this for my next baby. I imagine lots of people in London would, as many people are without extended family nearby.

bee74,

I think Doulas are becoming ever more popular in London. It is something I have thought about doing more than once, as an alternative to training as a midwife, but I don't feel the time is right for me to do either right now with my own young family.

I know of 2 Doulas both of whom seem to be very busy (to the point of having to refer potential clients to others), but I think that 'connecting' with your client is so important that it is a good thing to have several in an area so that hopefully people can meet them all and see which one they feel most comfortable with.

I wish you all the best. I think initially it can be hard to get established, but once you become known in an area your reputation will proceed you.

I assume you have already found the Doula UK website?

Molly

Molly

yes, I am actually booked on a course with Odent at the week end. Just started panicking thinking will this be useful?! Of course, it will be useful as a personal experience, but would be nice to make it into something profitable as well...

Thanks

It varies from one Doula to the next Belle, some would help with both those things, others would be more focussed on helping with baby related stuff - emotional support to the parents, feeding advice, sleeping advice etc.

I think most will do 'some' household chores - i.e. for instance provide a certain number of meals, or do some light housework, but this is not the main focus of thier role.

Molly

ah ok. am curious too about training as one (sorry for hijack) but have always wondered how I'd help people with feeding given I couldn't master it myself! But am interested in the practical and emotional support stuff as def think there's a big need for that.