A naked woman has just run down Ulverscroft Road

Sue

Maybe just her birthday, or spring or summat in the air. There was even an article in yesterday's Indie about the pastime. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/strip-club-why-are-we-obsessed-with-getting-our-kit-off-1950366.html

That article mentions Spencer Tunick's naked photo shoots in Dulwich in 1986 -- there's more on the web, eg http://photoslaves.com/spencer-tunick/. Did anyone here take part?

I think she was in a domestic violence situation and had some kind of breakdown. She lived at the other end of my road though I didnt know it till that incident. I'd see her from time to time after that (clothed) in the street but she didnt give any sign of recognition so I didnt engage her. She was completley zombified at the time of the naked incidnet and I thought she had been attacked. I believe she's moved now.

I'm pretty sure it was for a dare, if I had thought she was running away from someone I would have called the police immediately. There was nobody chasing her.

My lights were on and she could have rung my bell, also she wasn't calling for help or anything.

Had forgotten all about it till I saw this thread!

Mental ill-health and possible domestic abuse aside, let's not disregard the possibility that she was just larking about.

Having the crack, if you will.

More power to her elbow for reviving the 70's streaking fad.

Ray Stevens would be proud, unless he's still alive, in which case he will be.

For no particular reason I feel inordinately pleased with myself for employing the word 'fad'.

Waldo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> HOw the hell do you forget about a naked person

> running down the street?

xxxxxxx

Senility combined with a busy Sunday freezing to death in Brighton :))

I do recall when I lived in Chelsea in the seventies seeing a youngish woman stark naked except for sturdy boots walking calmy into a launderette with a bag of washing at 9.00 am on a Sunday morning. It was summer (and quite a hot one) and it was the height of the punk era, and she didn't seem in any way distressed, rather extremely laid-back. But it was a surprise. Public nudity wasn't entirely uncommon back then, but not normally at 9.00 am on Sundays.

And that was several years before the iconic 'fit lad takes off jeans to wash them in a launderette' ad.

I went out to buy a newspaper on Sunday for several months after that full of (dashed) hopes.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do recall when I lived in Chelsea in the

> seventies seeing a youngish woman stark naked

> except for sturdy boots walking calmy into a

> launderette with a bag of washing at 9.00 am on a

> Sunday morning. It was summer (and quite a hot

> one) and it was the height of the punk era, and

> she didn't seem in any way distressed, rather

> extremely laid-back. But it was a surprise. Public

> nudity wasn't entirely uncommon back then, but not

> normally at 9.00 am on Sundays.

Nice anecdote, Penguin and i love the way you begin it with "I do recall".

Had I seen a naked woman wearing hiking boots in my local (perhaps even beautiful) launderette, the memory would be seared into my brain. It could probably, even to this day disturb some synapses when I conjured up the image.

Which, by the way I would do on a regular basis.

Was she a punk? How could you tell? How was her hair? Did you speak to her?

I wonder, was she at Malolm McLaren's funeral?

That'd be a giveaway.

Was she a punk? How could you tell?

In general punks would be immediately noticeable by the hair (day-glo dyed, mohican or otherwise spiky), by their clothes and by piercings. For some reason I cannot recall whether her hair was dyed or not (it wasn't a mohican or spiky, but punk ladies often didn't go that far) and I was distracted from concentrating on her head - reference to her clothes was clearly otiose and if she had piercings, at the distance I was, they were not very noticeable. She certainly went with the zeitgeist but may not have been strictly a follower of punk herself. Chelsea then was also known for generally 'arty' types - so she could have been dancing to a different tune.

I stayed a distant (and one-time) admirer only.