Poor tradesmen in Dulwich - continued..

RPK073

Recently posted on here of the poor experience had with tradesmen found on EDF. The first guy Andy took 3 weeks to pull up a few tiles, left the piping a mess, shower wall loose with no waterproof membrane and even took out a support joist under the floor so my hallway floor dipped whenever you stepped near the bathroom and even wanted me to tile the bathroom in the colours of Watford football club (believe it or not he was serious) and use large slate floor tiles on the wall.. To top it off they dumped all the rubbish in my bedroom with nails sticking out everywhere and ruined a new bed. It cost me a fortune to put right. When I asked him to have my bathroom in working order for Xmas having started at the beginning of December he left everything disconnected walked out and demanded I pay half the total amount. He was lucky I didn't sue him

I thought I'd resolved the matter when found another guy on here who put it right however experienced a leak just after my new lovely bathroom had been finished which I was told was down to the dodgy piping the previous guy had used.. So I was told anyway!!

7 months on from the first cowboy starting the bathroom and 2 months on from paying to put it right (so I thought) I am still without a completed bathroom. I also have a cellar full of water from the original leak. In short I will not be using trader off here again!! Expected better of Dulwich..

RPK073

Also to just call the first guy Andy, probably a common name amongst tradesmen, may suggest to people that the person you are talking about is somebody else with the same name.

I'd like to know who these people are too, so that I can avoid them. Posting bad experiences on here is a bit pointless otherwise.

Sorry for what you had to go through, though.

I know a Handy Man called Andy..

He doesn't do Electrical Work and isn't Gas Safe.

He doesn't do Plastering or Brickwork...

He isn't brilliant at Painting & Decorating.

He tries to avoid Working with Wood.

He not the best Tiler and does not do Plumbing.

He is afraid of heights so does not do Roof work or Gutters.

What makes him so Handy you might ask..?

Well.. He only lives round the corner..

Foxy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I haven't had an awful experience with this builder because I haven't used him but I have had terrible experiences with a number of tradesmen. I've made an appointment with my MP because I'm sick of being conned, threatened and abused. I also own buy to let property so I have had more than my fair share of incompetent tradesman. I could live for a year on the money I've given these guys only to have to pay out all over again or just forget about improving my property.

I'm going to discuss poor workmanship with my MP including threats, incompetence, dangerous structures the list is endless. I'm not sure what will come out of the meeting but I'll be discussing a central register for tradespeople with an accreditation process. Also tighten up on tradespeople hiding behind mailing addresses and company dissolution only to start again the next day with a clean slate.

I don't think trading standards does a good enough job to protect the homeowner and with the time, effort and cost involved in taking a tradesman to court it can end up just not worth it. The tradesperson knows this and that's why they continue to trade abysmally for years.

I'd be really grateful if you'd email me with a short summary of the problems you've experienced so that I can use the information in my meeting with my MP. I won't mention any names - either yours or the builders.

my email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Guys,

If there is any poorly decorating experiences you've had then feel free to look at my iDecorate's facebook page and see what customers have said about their experiences with myself, also with before and after videos as well. I am more than happy to put right where other painters have done wrong.

Best regards

Michael Barsoum

iDecorate

www.facebook.com/idecorate

Archived