cutting down feeds

LI

My 11 month old is due to start nursery in a couple of weeks. I thought by now I would have cut down on the breastfeeds, but what with one thing and another (stomach bug, weight problem) it hasn't happened. I am doing at least 6 feeds a day, and since the stomach bug my son has been asking for even more (by pulling my top down:-$). Has anyone else been in this situation? What happened at nursery - did your little one replace all breastfeeds with bottle? I'm hoping I can keep the morning feeds going for a while - because it's the only thing that sends him back to sleep at 5am...

Hi LI,

I have a 9 month old who also still breastfeeds a lot. I went into work for a keep in touch day on Monday and was very nervous about the milk situation. I had some fresh expressed milk from Sunday and that morning - but only enough for one bottle. I also defrosted bunch of frozen milk.

While I was away he had one bottle after breakfast, and then refused the defrosted milk for the rest of the day - but he was fine! I had a feeling he would reject the defrosted milk as he has done this before. My little epicurean. He even napped twice without my breasts or a bottle. I was pleasantly surprise and now am feeling much more confident about returning to work this summer.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that I think when you are not around, they don't want it as much and they deal quite well with the situation. And from 1 year - you could give cow's milk during the day. I doubt he'll go hungry/thirsty.

Hope this is somewhat reassuring!

-A

I transitioned out the day feeds in the month leading up to me returning to work (at 11 months) and just kept the waking and bedtime feeds. My son was very easygoing about it though. He was an avid BFer for the first 10 months or so but then didn't seem to miss it once it was phased out. Eventually I dropped the morning feed because he wasn't waking up before I went to work (another great side effect - his sleep improved immeasurably). We dropped the bedtime feed finally at 17 months. Good luck! Don't worry, they are very adaptable.

I went back to work 3 days a week when my daughter was 11 months. She had never taken a bottle so I just fed her first thing, at 4.30 ish when I picked her up and again at bedtime for about a month. Then when she was a year my childminder offered her cows milk in a cup mid afternoon so I didn't need to feed her when I picked her up. As others have said it's amazing how adaptable they are, if you're not there they don't miss the feeds (at least my daughter didn't). She's 15 moths now and has just gone off breastfeeding completely which I thought would never happen (!)

Good luck!

You may be surprised, I never thought my daughter would let me leave the house for a day (she is literally addicted to breast), but when I wasn't around (shopping, rare night out etc) she knew she couldn't have it and happily just got on with her day. Needless to say now 16 months old when i'm here she goes crazy, if I am busy she just decides to jump on me and do it herself. Kids ay

Hope it goes well for you, you may well find it a lot easier than expected, try not to let it worry you. If you want to try and cut down do it gradually, replacing the feeding times you need to with fun activities, maybe a walk in the park or such. Distractions can be very helpful. Sometimes it's better to not be around at such feeding times, then your baby wont be teased at the fact your there but not giving, what they want.