Countryside bike rides from ED

katanita

I'd love to go on some nice long country bike rides from East Dulwich but I have yet to find a route from here that didn't start with a good 45 minutes of misery on busy roads (e.g. through Crystal Palace to West Wickham etc on main roads, which seems to be the usual route for the cycling clubs).

Has anyone found any nice long rides from here that either take more pleasant routes out, or involve a straightforward train ride? Routes that involve lovely views or excellent pub lunches are particularly welcome. Thanks!

Hi katanita

I did a forty miler to Tudeley this morning (outside Tonbridge), but there isn't really a good way out of town.

You could go up College Rd and through Penge/Beckenham as I did today - not as grievous as Palace/Annerley but not any shorter. i find going early means less traffic, so an 8 am start on a Saturday is generally very good.

Or take a train - Denmark Hill to Otford is about 45 mins, but then again, you could cycle to West Wickham in that time.

Head out either via South Norwood or through Beckenham, Hayes then onto Keston. Latter isn't too bad on a Sunday.

Normally cheat and get the train back after a pint. Train out to somewhere like Penshurst or Cowden is fine but sometimes engineering works and a change or ride back from somewhere like Selhurst of Herne Hill.

Alternatives are to cycle through Deptford and get on the Thames path; do a few laps of Richmond Park, or the Waterlink Way eg get on at Catford Bridge.

I used to get the train out to Caterham or to Tatenham Corner and go on one of the North downs off road routes - the OS SE cycle rides book is OK if you are old school (ie don't do it by satnav)

Friend brought me a book of London rides last bithday. Sadly London appears to stop at the Elephant going no further South! Bloody Northerners eh?