Where can I buy wool?

Hey ladies, thought I'd post here rather than slightly scary main boards ;-)

I am officially a knitting addict (thanks MakeHQ!) and am going to make some knitted toys for my kids, but don't want to spend a fortune of the type of wools I've been buying recently to make jumpers etc. Generally I buy online, but for making toys I want to go somewhere that has a good selection of colours that I can pick my way through.

I seem to remember a thread on here previously which I can't find, but it mentioned a shop in Penge? I'm sure there is somewhere that has cheap wool at the back of the shop, but it would be great if someone knows the full details.

I've been to the little shop in Herne Hill which is lovely but a bit expensive. Does anyone know whether the "Fabric" shop on Lordship Lane stocks wool? I've been past a few times but never seem to find it open!

I know that John Lewis has a great selection, but with two kids in tow am not brave enough to make the journey up to Oxford Circus.

Thanks in advance.

You just knew I'd respond to this!!!

Herne Hill = best round here, but I agree, expensive. I tend to use it for stuff I'm making for myself and want to splash out on rather than kids stuff. You really do not need Debbie Bliss for a kids cardie at ?5 a 50g ball.

Fabric - does stock a bit but rubbish range, grumpy man and still dear.

I've previously found cheap acrylic wool (which frankly is fine for kids cardies) in the big 99p shop on Rye Lane. There are a number of the African shops up there which sell it too although I haven't really ventured in. Maybe we need a trip together?

John Lewis - might be easier to drive to Bluewater and park at the entrance (which handily is next to the wool/haberdasher bit - hurray!).

To be honest I get nearly everything online as its cheaper and I don't need to leave the house, but I tend to know what I want (having felt it up in John Lewis or the like).

For DK weight this stuff is great value:

http://www.kandjcrafts.co.uk/index.php/cPath/93_94_99_512 (check around for prices elsewhere, this was the first I googled).

its 100g balls, so you'll probably need two for a 2 year old cardie (and enough leftovers for a hat, mitts or small bag). although I have a nice pattern for a wrapover cardie you knit in 1 piece that only uses 1. It subs well for any other type of DK and is washable.

Phew!

I spend FAR too much time thinking about wool. And was caught out this morning when husband was still here when a massive delivery of new stuff arrived with the postie......

Mel

(of MakeHQ!)

I was hoping you'd respond Mel!

I've only ever been to Bluewater once and didn't even realise there was a John Lewis there - I'm sensing a "come on kids, let's go on a holiday adventure in the car" day coming on ;-)

Funny - a couple of years ago it would have been the two of us posting about our obsession with lovely fluffy nappies, trying to hide the endless parcels from nappy companies. Now that M's coming to the end of her nappy days I've replaced the online nappy buying with wool!

I got some Sirdar wool online recently (the "Flirt" one) and am itching to get started making something for myself, but need to finish a few of my current projects first.

Bluewater, John Lewis, etc all good if you can travel, but from ED the best place is the House of Linen on Sydenham High Street. They have a large yarn selection, needles, and some patterns. Whilst they don't do Rowan or any of the fancy brands, a 100g ball of double knit was just under 2 quid when I last went a couple of weeks ago. If you can manage without the posh expensive stuff this is definately THE place to go.

Marvellous, I didn't know about the place in Sydenham, I'm going to check it out.

I am SUCH a mean mummy. Cheap DK acrylic for the nippers, beautiful hand dyed silk mix DK/aran and cashmere sock wool for me! If you do fancy a massive treat then I Knit London at Lower Marsh, Waterloo is heaven (and they have a 15% off sale at the moment. Must. Not. Go.

I'm always looking out for places that sell cheap wool despite the fact that I haven't made anything for over a year. It definitely is like some kind of addiction.

I agree that decent cheap wool is hard to find in London. That's one thing I miss about the States . . .

Anyway, the 99p shop in Butterfly Walk at the Demark Hill/Walworth Rd crossroads has a big cage of cheap acrylic wool outside the front of the shop.

I second I Knit in Waterloo for their selection of the good stuff. Bought some lovely alpaca wool there that has been half of a scarf for my husband for the past year. Lower Marsh is really close to where I work (um, as of tomorrow when I start my first day back after a year of maternity leave . . .) and I ofter run errands over there, so if there was ever anything specific that you ladies wanted, I would be happy to pick it up for you and then you could just pick it up from me in ED.

PS - Mellors, glad I'm not the only one who things the Fabric guy is "grumpy." I went in there when the shop was opening and asked if they were going to stock wool (I got so excited at the thought of a local place with a decent selection). He told me about all of this designer stuff he planned to stock and when I asked if he would be getting any acrylic in he looked at me as if I'd just said I like to eat mice. I went back once or twice to see what kind of stock he got, but I really found him to be quite snooty and haven't been back since. Too bad.

-A

• 4 weeks later...

I've had to resurrect this thread as I have finally got round to visiting House of Linens in Sydenham and I love it! Great selection of super cheap wool, needles (not so many bamboo, but plenty of metal/plastic including circulars, DPNs etc). Also has a great range of haberdashery - buttons, sewing thread, bias binding etc etc. They lady also told me they are going to start stocking fabric by the metre from next week as well which will hopefully stop us schlepping to Lavender Hill/Lewisham all the time. Well worth a trip (and don't be put off by the outside), especially as its such great value for money, although don;t go if you want big names/fancy stuff.

Hurray! Its MakeHQ's new favourite :D

Mel

.....and Krystal Pharmacy in Nunhead (by the bakers) have a surprisingly good selection of wool - over on the far right hand side towards the rear of the shop. Pretty sure it's all acrylic, but I've made leg warmers, hats, scarves and......er a lions tail(?) with it with great successs.

Actually there isn't much Krystal don't stock, amazing what you can find in there.

Am rediscovering knitting now I'm not typing nappy letters every night. Hurrah! Just finishing a beautiful cobweb like baby shawl I started about 3 years ago though no idea who for any mor! Hey Ho.

Molly

I also saw some aran wool in TK Maxx a couple of weeks ago, and a couple of the 99p type shops in Peckham have small stocks. Amazing where you find it once you're looking out for it.

I'm proudly wearing a top today that I finished for myself last night, a little lacy pattern tie front bolero cardigan. Amazing the feeling of achievement!

john lewis has an excellent range or you could try some of the charity shops - there is one on walworth rd (before you get to boots on that side of the road after leaving camberwell heading twds elephant) that i know often has wool and ends of fabrics... otherwise maybe online a good option too?

• 1 year later...
I know the last post was written a while ago, but just to let you know I have opened 'Ricci's Wool Barn' a stall on north cross rd market on saturdays. Stock cheap basic wool as well as the more expensive sort. Look forward to seeing you there!!!