BUDS Preschool - Need Settling in Details

nymom

My son is due to start at Buds next week. When I signed him up in early June I was told I would receive all of the settling in details over the summer, as they didnt have any to hand. I haven't received anything from them, and have emailed and left a message on their answerphone. I know they are closed over the school holidays but thought they may respond to queries etc. Also I thought maybe staff would be getting ready for next week. Does anyone have any info? What do I need to send with him? What happens on the first day? Etc. Thanks for any guidance. This is my first nursery experience and my son is just over 2.

Hello

Our son, aged 3 and a half, is also starting next week and we also were surprised not to have received settling in details. However, my other half has rung the number on the website and got a response from their deputy manager this morning. There's also a mobile no. which got us the manager over the summer when we weren't quite sure if we had a place or not. In case they don't get back to you, we were told that you can go for as many settling in days as you like next week (they are free). New arrivals to come at 10 on Monday, 930 the other days. Send a packed lunch if staying for lunch - they are happy for it to be leftovers etc. Not sure if they expect you to stay for the settling in - we are planning to drop and run but our son is quite a bit bigger than yours and already an experienced nursery attender. We'll be sending him with a change of clothes, not sure if they expect anything else. Maybe see you next week!

My 2 sons are at Buds - my first since April 08 and my second since Jan'10. I have to say that admin is not their strongest point but they certainly make up for it in love and affection towards the children! They are very very relaxed and I am fairly sure that they will let you do whatever you are comfortable with.

When my first son started it was the week after he turned two and I hung around for about 45 minutes and when I realised he hadn't even turned around to look for me, I left for the rest of the morning (after saying goodbye to him -never a good idea to disappear!) and that was that.

The staff are super supportive and Miss Idda (pronounced Ida) who runs the place is the loveliest, warmest lady you will ever meet. All of the kids flock around her!

I am a bit evangelical about Buds as it really is such a great environment, so please don't let this put you off!

If I were you I would arrive on Monday at 9.30/10ish and then stay as long as you feel you need to. I am certain that they will work at your/your son's pace.

As I said, admin etc is not their forte, but that is the last thing on my list when I am looking for someone who will look after my children!

Please PM me if I can help further

PRD

Forgot to say that if your son is staying for lunch, he will need a packed lunch as sglanzer says. They eat around 12. You may just want to do 10-12 on the first day, but if I were you and you end up being able to leave him as he's enjoying it, I would send a packed lunch, phone just before 12 to see if he is still happy and let him stay. If they tell you he has struggled, then pick him up and try again for lunch the next day

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I called the mobile number and Maria called me back to tell me what time to bring my son. She also posted the same information to me as well. However I didnt receive anything on what to send with him. He is still in nappies as he just recently turned two so I assume I send a bag with his name on it with nappies and wipes? Also a change of clothes? So these things stay there or do I send a bag each day? Sorry for all the questions - I thought all of these details would arrive in the post but it was just a letter with the name of my son's key worker.