Where is good for Sunday lunch with kids?

Layla's Mum

I am looking to take my 4 year old and 9 month old out for Sunday lunch with my Mum tomorrow and wondered where is good to go with kids. The weather is not looking great although the rain might hold off. I have been to The Herne Tavern in the past and always come away feeling the food isn't what it should be for the price. I've also been to The Rye and love the place but want to try something different. Any other tips for places to go?

The Mag is good - just in the sense that t hey'll do kids portions of food and they're very welcoming to children. If it's more that you're looking for somewhere with stuff for the kids to do while there, maybe the Florence in Herne Hill as they have a playroom?

As others have said, The Florence in Herne Hill is very child friendly and has a large secure playroom at the back. They serve good food (although I've never had a roast there so can't vouch for the roasts). They also serve children's portions (including a small roast I think). Same owners as The Bishop and The Victoria Inn.

The best roast I've had in the area recently was at The Victoria Inn (SE15)- great quality and quantity. Although not cheap (?10-?12) it was streets ahead of the offering at The Magnolia last time I was there for what I think was a similar price. The Victoria welcomes children but not so much for them to do if you need distractions for them.

Also had a couple of good roasts at The Mansion (SE27 - Sydenham Hill) recently. There were quite a few children there when we were. I think there might be a garden but we didn't venture out so not sure what there might be to entertain little ones.

Saffron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I second the Woodhouse, and also recommend the

> Herne http://www.theherne.net/home ...you will

> definitely need reservations at the Herne.

The original poster - Layla's Mum - said in her post that she didn't think the Herne was good value for money. I have been to the Wodhouse and although it has a nice garden don't think the food is very good.

EatsDulwich- Thank you. I'm really glad you enjoyed our roasts so much. Really looking forward to your return & meeting the baby :)

Layla's mum- I definitely think you should check out The Florence. The kids playroom is amazing & keeps the little ones entertained for hours.

We are planning to build a kids playroom here as it has proved so popular.

On top of that the roasts are great, but you will definitely need to book as Sunday lunches are extremely popular.

Make sure you sign up for our mum's the word loyalty cards that you can use here, at the florence & the bishop which entitles you to lots of different exclusive offers. At the moment here we are offering 25% off your bill for you +1 & the kids.

Molly

Many thanks all for your helpful suggestions. We plumped for The Florence and overall it was perfect. Great location, very spacious, excellent playroom, good service and the roasts were large and delicious. Only one little piece of feedback for any Florence management reading this: I was a little disappointed to get a negative response from the staff when I asked for peas with the kids fish fingers and chips. As they didn't have peas I suggested brocoli as an alternative (as that was being served with other dishes). I was told (a little begrudgingly I thought) that we could have one floret of brocoli otherwise we would have to pay for a side portion of vegetables. In the end they brought the meal with three florets of brocoli which was perfect, which just makes the slightly grumpy attitude a bit of a shame! As a mum, it is good when the kids restaurant meals have things like peas on them as most kids will eat peas and its good to get some vegetables into them along with the chips and ketchup. But other than that, thanks for the recommendation people because I would definitely go back.