2 1/2 year old and milk

Vickster

Hello

Does anyone know how much milk a 2 1/2 year odl should be getting? I have tried looking it up but not found anything conclusive. My son has had around 6oz milk morning and evening for about the last year, but has recently started to refused milk in the mornings and sometimes evening too. He has it on his breakfast, and has yoghurts etc throughout the day, so I am hoping that is enough, particularly at his age, but would appreciate any thoughts.

Victoria

I think at that age its less important how much milk they have provided they are getting a balanced diet and a good dose of calcium from other cources (yoghurt, cheese, veg etc). I know quite a few children that don't have any milk drinks at that age and they are thriving. My daughter still has a bedtime milk drink and she's 3 1/2 but its purely because she likes it, if she decided she no-longer wanted it I wouldn't be at all worried.

x

Is your main concern with the milk his calcium intake? There are high levels of calcium in other foods, such as almonds, green leafy veg (e.g. kale and spinach), broccoli, and swede for example, so if you incorporate some of those into his diet, you don't need to worry about the milk. Maybe slices of apple with almond butter on for example? Also worth noting that lots of yoghurt products marketed at kids are quite high in sugar content - munch bunch e.g. has over a teaspoon of sugar in each 42g pot, which quickly adds up. S x