Egypt and 1 year and food???

canadianlisa

Hi -

After booking a late November break to Egypt after seeing it recommended on this forum I have just started panicking a bit about food for my little girl. She is decent eater here and mainly has homemade food with some jarred second stage when we are out. She likes cheese, most fruit, root veggies, mince and potato, pasta, bread, cheese, tomoto etc. She is not overly fussy but it does take her a few tries to get into new things. We are going to an all inclusive resort. I know they are all a bit different but do you think that she will be ok eating the food there? Are fruits etc best avoided. What about milk? I will likely still be breast feeding her then so bottles are not such an issue. Packing a weeks worth of jars seems a bit impractical.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Lisa

Just be aware that a large proportion of stomach upsets in Egypt are not caused by food but by germs picked up from the money; Egyptian notes are generally absolutely filthy. It is a good idea to take antibacterial handwash with you, and use it religiously EVERY time you touch any local money. I am very prone to stomach upsets, but have always eaten whatever I wanted and have never had the slightest problem in several trips to Luxor. There is no need to avoid fruit, but I would try to stick to peelable fruit and vegetables where possible and it's often wise to avoid salad in local restaurants in case it hasn't been washed in purified water, although most of the better hotels will have their own water supplies. Egyptian food is lovely, and I'm sure you will be able to find plenty of the types of food you mentioned. Make sure you only use bottled water for cleaning teeth etc. If you exercise sensible precautions, I'm sure your little girl will be fine with the food.

I have been too Sharm and Hurghada many times and rarely has anyone I have been with had a problem. We took our son when he was 3 and our twins at 7m.

The sort of food on the buffets tends to me made to order omelettes, croissants, bread, fruit, cheese, yoghurt at breakfast. Pasta, salad etc at lunch and a variety of things at dinner. There is always bread and fruit.

Thanks that's helpful. Buffet food should be okay but it is useful to have a back up in terms of jars and definitely better not to have to bring a weeks worth of nappies. Might throw some Ella's pouches just for a backup.

Thanks you have set my mind at rest. My mother had me in a panic last night.

Good plan. Yes I was going to bring the car seat and my usual stock of medicine.

If there is pasta, banana and bread we should be good to go. Add in some sweet potato and cream cheese and it would be her perfect holiday!

I think we are getting a coach from the airport to the hotel- it is a all in package but I will double check. We don't have a car so will need to get a taxi from this end anyways so will likely have it with us. Packing light is no longer an option!