Potty advice wanted - any difference between makes?

Bishberro

I'm psyching myself up to start potty training my son and just wondered if any veterans on the subject had any thoughts on potties. I wanted to get two - one for upstairs and one for downstairs but it seems like you can pay from a few quid to ?20 quid plus for some. Is it worth paying out for a posher one like a Baby bjorn or will a basic one do the job? Some of them looked so small, I wasn't sure my son would be very comfy sat on them for long periods of time.

I had three little potties scattered all over the house when dd1 was potty training (including the baby bjorn and a ridiculous Japanese one with a fuzzy seat and handle to hold on to) plus one of those that sit directly on the toilet seat. When it came time to train dd2, she refused to use any of the little potties and preferred to sit on the toilet either with or without the baby seat.

If I had to do it again I'd just get the cheap baby potty as it doesn't really matter and in the end and they will get used to it. In my opinion.

Good luck potty training!

I bought one of the cheaper ones (can't remember the brand), and you are right they are small. My son couldn't sit properly on it and it was a waste of money. So opted for the baby bjorn which is expensive but my son is really comfortable on it and loves going potty!

He is now using a step and a toilet seat (baby bjorn again) for upstairs which he likes too.

DD1 loved a potty the childminder had, which is one Mothercare & others sell I think - it's like a little chair, so has back support, with the actual potty bit that lifts out so easy to empty.

I got one for DD2, to use alongside the basic one I already had, but like candj above, DD2 is insisting on sitting on the toilet - to be like big sister I guess....sigh....

In the end I don't think it matters too much which type you get, as they will use whatever you have and wont know any different.

Molly

With No1, she was very choosy about her potty at the start. We had a baby bjorn one and a very basic one too that she just didn't seem to get on with at all - she just couldn't seem to work out how to sit down on them. (She's never been good with physical stuff.) I was almost thinking we'd have to wait although I knew she was ready. In the end we went up to Mothercare and let her try a few. She picked out one, put it on the floor and sat down on it like a pro - we bought 2 and never looked back.

If you've got the chance, maybe go to Mothercare or the like and see how your LO takes to them - he may have a preference. Or if you have friends whose kids are training already, maybe he could try some that way.

We had a basic one that was just too small - I think this is perhaps more of an issue with boys because if they have trouble fitting their willy in you will have pee all over the place. We bought two of the baby bjorn ones, not the ones like a throne, but they do have a removable insert, and I think they are worth the money - they are a much more sensible shape than many other potties.