Attempted phone snatch Dog Kennel Hill

Another warning about local crime . . . on my way home this evening, walking down Dog Kennel Hill, a moped rode up onto the pavement and attempted to pull my phone out of my hand. Despite being taken by surprise I managed to hold on to it and also got his licence number. Just had the police around who will investigate further.

Prior to this I'd read other people's experiences of similar crimes and not thought much further about it . . . 'being vigilant' and 'be careful where you use your phone' don't really resonate and are hard to apply in everyday, busy London lives. The warning I would give is that if you sense something that doesn't feel quite right, pay attention to your surroundings. I heard the moped come up on to the pavement 2 or 3 seconds before he tried to grab my phone but was more confused by it than concerned.

(Of course, tonight was an exception - I would actually normally be walking home to pour a glass of wine too fast to be looking at my phone at the same time!)

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The police keep telling people not to use their

> phones in the street. Well done for holding onto

> yours and getting the reg number though.

Thats not a solution, I do hate people walking and texting or reading.

That doesn't justify "people shouldn't use their phones".

Imho the non-existent local police should drink less coffee and tee and get out to patrol from time to time.

Glad they didn't get it- and well done with the registration number- did you memorise it or take a quick snap?!

I agree it is a good idea to be cautious about getting your phone out to do what they are intended for, i.e a MOBILE appliance! On the other hand the advice smacks a bit like the suggestions of not wearing revealing clothes or walking on your own etc....

Linked to the other thread on here about motorcycle theft, no doubt. Reg numbers are usually cloned or stolen off other vehicles. When I noted the reg of the scumbag scooterists who attempted to steal my motorbike, it checked out as belonging to a Range Rover.