Boxing day birthday..what a nightmare

siomcc

My boy will be 2 on boxing day and last year we made an effort for his 1st birthday but that experience has taught me that there is only so much, cake, enthusiam and presents one family can withstand two days on the trot. What am I going to do in the years to come...any suggestions?

My sister's birthday is the 27th and mine on the 30th. I thought that was bad enough! definitely don't give him joint presents that's for sure! Maybe for now try to stick out the two days in a row celebrations and when he's old enough ask him when/how he would like to celebrate.

My poor hubby's birthday is on the 7th January......worst of the worst I think as being exactly a week after New Year everyone is a) broke, b) on a detox c) just back at work and fed up about that d) generally worn out from the entire Christmas/New Year thing.

I always try to give him a good Birthday present as I know it is important to him, but have had the odd last minute, grab something in the sales panic (and he always knows when I do that)!! I agree very important to give separate presents for both events, unless specifically asked for one BIG pressie instead (which my hubby sometimes does now he's a BIG boy LOL).

His name is Giles and when he was little his parents used to have a summer birthday for him on St Giles' Day which worked quite well I think, but wasn't ideal. I think he still felt he missed out compared to his sister.

I think you have a few years grace before your son gets old enough to really start to 'feel' that this is an issue. Once that happens it might work to hold a party for him either right at the end of term before school breaks up, or just before it goes back in January as otherwise a lot of his friends are likely to be away visiting relatives etc. I know also that children who have a birthday during school holidays often feel they miss out on doing the taking cup cakes to school and having Happy Birthday sung to them by their class mates, so I would make a point of explaining the situation to his teacher and asking if it can be done as part of the last day before they break up (they often have a party that day anyway so would work well).

Hope this helps, I mean really, couldn't you have timed this whole childbirth thing better.....;-) xxxx

It is a really tricky one, but as zeban suggests, asking him what he would like once he is old enough is probably the best route.

As a boxing day baby of LONG standing, it is defo two sets of presents once bub is old enough to realise. My mother also used to remove Xmas tree and ban turkey sandwiches on Boxing Day. As I got older it was a great excuse to have another party with friends once Xmas with family was over. Thankfully, my birthday was in the summer where I grew up so weather was good for outdoor parties.

In my immediate family we have about 10 birthdays between End Nov and End of Jan. Expensive time of year.

My birthday is on Boxing Day, and it is pretty rubbish i must admit. My major birthday peave as a child was being given a christmas card as a birthday card, with the Merry Christmas inside crossed out, and Happy Birthday scrawled underneath. Gutted.

I always thought it was fun to go out for lunch on my birthday, which we did quite a lot as I got older (think my mum was happy to have a break from cooking and washing up).

Havent got too many tips other than that, it is just a tough birthday to bear, but it could be worse, it could be the 25th. That would mahusively suck.

On the positive side, having a boxing day birthday does tend to mean that people remember you birthday, as it is an unusual day. Oh, and boxing day birthday means you are Capricorn, the finest sign of the zodiac if i do say so myself.

Oh, and for SURE two presents, two cards etc.

My mums birthdays Christmas day and my grandpas is boxing day - so lots of celebrations go on at Christmas time in our family. When my mum was younger she did the birthday party in the summer thing. But as I was growing up we always did, mums birthday on Christmas morning making a real effort to make a fuss of her and then christmas for all in the afternoon. As she's got older my mums always said she quite likes having a Christmas birthday as it means she always gets to have friends and family around her on her birthday!

Thanks for all your ideas, some really good ones. My husband has just pointed out that it's a pretty cool brithday as he will always have his parents off work!

If I held a party in the summer should it be the summer before or after his brithday? any thoughts?

My brother is a Christmas Eve baby and I'm 6th January, both equally rubbish. As children Mum was super strict about us getting separate gifts for each occasion. Our birthday parties were always held about a month before, or in February due to NZ schools being on their summer break at that time, so none of our friends were ever about, but at least it meant we got a 2nd lots of presents!

As an adult I think it's great having a birthday close to Christmas, gives me an excuse to ask for expensive gifts!

siomcc - definately after - in child world you cant celebrate being and age until you actually reach it!!!! PS one of my children's birthday is on NYs day, and we have often take a few of her friends to the panto late in Jan as a birthday treat instead of a party.... that has worked quite well.